Stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm cycling my new 29 gallon right now but I can't help but think about the lovely fish I will have eventually! My tank is 30 long, 12 wide, and 18 tall. Let me know if this would overstock it or if there are any problems with this list. Also any suggestions to changes, or additional species is greatly appreciated.

8 neon tetras (more or less of these?)
6 cory catfish (more or less of these?)
1 bn pleco (will make sure he is well fed I promise!!)
1 Gourami (but what type?!)

I'd also love to have shrimp if anyone has an opinion on that! Thanks!?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Id do 10 neons, 4 Cories, make the bristlenose a...

SUPER RED BRISTLENOSE PLECO

attachment.php

And a Pearl Gourami.

Attachments

• img_2010.jpg
    img_2010.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 135
Wow those are so cool!! I've never seen or heard of them before! Are they common in LFSs?

So I'm cycling my new 29 gallon right now but I can't help but think about the lovely fish I will have eventually! My tank is 30 long, 12 wide, and 18 tall. Let me know if this would overstock it or if there are any problems with this list. Also any suggestions to changes, or additional species is greatly appreciated.

8 neon tetras (more or less of these?)
6 cory catfish (more or less of these?)
1 bn pleco (will make sure he is well fed I promise!!)
1 Gourami (but what type?!)

I'd also love to have shrimp if anyone has an opinion on that! Thanks!?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You could do 10 neons, although personally I prefer cardinal tetra over them. A honey/dwarf/pearl gourami would work, but I'd prob give the pearl the benefit of a larger tank. I love honey gouramis personally and their bright yellow/orange contrast well with neons/cardinals. Amano shrimp are good shrimp to have as they grow too large (about 2 inches) for most fish to eat, while any dwarf shrimp like red cherry will get picked at and would only survive if they have plenty of cover (such as live plants/moss).

Actually Pearls are fairly docile and only get 4 inches.

I personally would prefer over both neons or cardinals, a school of Espei's Rasboras. Or a school of them and a school of either tetra. 5 and 5.

As for shrimp, Algae Eating Shrimp or Bamboo shrimp are good choices.

Back
Top Bottom