Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barrix

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

As a child, my parents had a large aquarium, but I doubt that they had done research prior to stocking it as they’re the type of people who will believe anything an employee at Wal-Mart states in regards to live animals. I can’t recall what came of that setup, but I can only assume that they lost interest and sold it because they were unable to keep active and healthy schools of fish.

But years of owning various other pets have left me even more interested in starting an aquarium in my bedroom (I currently have a Betta splenden named Diablo in the absolute minimum sized tank for his species due to a long checklist of chores to do in regards to fixing up the house). I was gifted a ten gallon tank by my brother (it belonged to his ex-girlfriend) in which a large Comet Goldfish and two White Skirted Tetras were living together, but they have since been rehomed; some knowledgeable aquarists took them. Although I know that stock is limited, I think it’s a perfect size to start out.

I think it would be great to allow Diablo a chance to be in a larger tank, but I feel as if it would be too boring with a single fish inside it. Sure, he’s a gorgeous dragon scale, however, I believe that having a school of fish - or maybe even tank mates for Diablo - would make it seem more alive and special. I suppose the big question is: What peaceful, and colorful, assortment of fish can live happily in this tank?

I would really appreciate any suggestions from more experienced enthusiasts.

Neon tetras get mixed reviews with bettas and in 10 gallon tanks but I have had success with that type of set up. Other members chime in with your experience please too. Neons are very sensitive but you can get a huge reward because they look awesome in a school.

I tried it since it was the only thing I could find ok reviews for. The betta never killed anyone because we caught him pecking the neons. He ate an eye from one of them :( we then moved the neons to our community and one eye lived for quite a while.

I had a friend who mixed an African dwarf frog in with their betta. It seemed to do well. Lived together for quite able time (years)

I really think it depends on the temperament of the betta. Some are real jerks while others are not

You might be able to try it when you are home to watch - and have another tank ready just in case. (Not that a good first few days means you're good perminantly.)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I really think it depends on the temperament of the betta. Some are real jerks while others are not.

As far as I can tell, Diablo seems to be rather docile, but I'm also aware that his personality could change in the snap of a finger, which is why I want to go through all of my options before settling with the first recommendation. This project is not something that's going to be rushed; there's plenty of time to plan this out.

Cory cats make great companions for bettas. Ghost shrimp work quite well also.

I've read that Pygmy Cories are best in that size tank. You might want consider those.

I was thinking pygmy cories too, but they're not quite the 'colourful' fish you asked about.

Amano shrimp have made good companions for my bettas. They actually use their little head antennae to touch the fish sometimes. I know some people who keep endlers (NOT the flashy, long-tailed hybrids) and neons with their bettas as well. As was mentioned above, it really depends on the individual betta!

I appreciate everyone's input, but I have yet another question that needs to be answered. If I were to choose from the selection of Pygmy Cories, Neon Tetras, or Amano Shrimp, how many could I put in the tank (accompanied by Diablo) without overstocking it?

Well neons prefer groups of 6 or more. So for the neons I would say personally just do the 6.

I don't know the others enough to really say

Cories prefer to be kept in groups too, so 6 would be a good number for them as well. You could add 3 or so amanos without issue to either of those, I'd think.

Back
Top Bottom