Stocking 36 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jk623

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have just completed the fishless cycle of my 36 gallon bowfront. (The complete guide to fishless cycling article was a great help!) I am using an aquaclear 110 filter along with real plants and tahitian moon sand. I am trying to decide what I should stock it with. I was thinking about 8-10 neon tetras along with a couple of paradisefish, but I was wondering if anyone had some other suggestions. Would love to hear it. Thanks.

jk623 said:
I have just completed the fishless cycle of my 36 gallon bowfront. (The complete guide to fishless cycling article was a great help!) I am using an aquaclear 110 filter along with real plants and tahitian moon sand. I am trying to decide what I should stock it with. I was thinking about 8-10 neon tetras along with a couple of paradisefish, but I was wondering if anyone had some other suggestions. Would love to hear it. Thanks.[/Q
I would also get some cories

How many cories can I add? What kind do you recommend?

Panda cories are my favorite. I also like albino cories, which are hardier. You could comfortably put a school of 6 or 7 in your tank.

I don't recommend the paradise fish; they can be super aggressive.

jk623 said:

I think u shouldnt do paradise fish unless u want a aggressive tank I've heard Tht they would show aggression towards the neons

jk623 said:

I would do....

6 cherry barbs
8 neon or cardinal tetras
6 panda cories or wht species u prefer
5 common or black kuhli loaches
And then maybe another small school of tetras of ur choice

Instead of the paradise, which as it's been said can be a butthole, what about 1 or 2 dwarf gourami as a center piece? You could also do a few platy in there as well on top of some cories if you'd like.

So long as your tank is well planted you should be able to manage 2 DGs with no issues. I've never had issues with keeping pairs in tanks but I know some people have so it you worry you could do just a single.

tamtam said:
Instead of the paradise, which as it's been said can be a butthole, what about 1 or 2 dwarf gourami as a center piece? You could also do a few platy in there as well on top of some cories if you'd like.

So long as your tank is well planted you should be able to manage 2 DGs with no issues. I've never had issues with keeping pairs in tanks but I know some people have so it you worry you could do just a single.

Ya dg would look pretty sweet too

If you wanted two dwarf gouramis I would say get one male and one female. Some people have gotten 2 males to work, but others have had lots of issues so I wouldn't try it. Here is a plan to maybe get you started
12 Neon Tetras
8-9 Schooling fish (what do you like?)
3 Platys
1-2 Dwarf Gourami OR 2 Rams
6-7 cories

bud29 said:
If you wanted two dwarf gouramis I would say get one male and one female. Some people have gotten 2 males to work, but others have had lots of issues so I wouldn't try it. Here is a plan to maybe get you started
12 Neon Tetras
8-9 Schooling fish (what do you like?)
3 Platys
1-2 Dwarf Gourami OR 2 Rams
6-7 cories

Ya make sure if u get platies have a 1:2 ratio between male and females

bud29 said:
......or you could get all of one gender and not have to worry about fry....

Ya true Tht I'm surprised tho I have 7 platies 2 males and 5 females and haven't had any fry

If you get DG they follow the same gender rule as livebearers. You can still get fry from female platies without the presence of a male. They can store sperm for 6 months after contact with a single male. Also males can turn into females.

Well I am definitely going to steer clear of the paradise fish then. As far as the DG, are they hard to determine what sex? I will definitely get a male and female rather than 2 males. One DG would also be ok if I don't pair? I will also do a school of neon or cardinal tetra. A school of cherry barbs would be ok? Those looks nice. Also I will get a school of either the panda or albino cories. I am not a huge fan of the platies, but I will see what my lfs has. Thank you everyone for the advice! I am glad I asked about some stocking ideas before I bought a paradise fish that would eat everything lol.

jk623 said:
Well I am definitely going to steer clear of the paradise fish then. As far as the DG, are they hard to determine what sex? I will definitely get a male and female rather than 2 males. One DG would also be ok if I don't pair? I will also do a school of neon or cardinal tetra. A school of cherry barbs would be ok? Those looks nice. Also I will get a school of either the panda or albino cories. I am not a huge fan of the platies, but I will see what my lfs has. Thank you everyone for the advice! I am glad I asked about some stocking ideas before I bought a paradise fish that would eat everything lol.

Ya good luck and maybe post some picks when it's all set up with fish

Dwarf gouramis are very easy to sex. The male is very brightly colored and the female is more dully colored. You will have to look, though, some shops don't sell females because everyone likes the brighter colors more. One DG would be fine, though, if you can't find a female. Cherry barbs do look very nice, you could do a school of about nine. And if you don't want to put platys in, that leaves you with some room for an extra barb or two;)

Also males can turn into females.

It is much more rare for a male to turn into a female. I believe these "sex changes" normally happen right after birth. All the fry are all born as females and then some develop a gonopodium, making them male. A male to female changes is much more uncommon.

bud29 said:
It is much more rare for a male to turn into a female. I believe these "sex changes" normally happen right after birth. All the fry are all born as females and then some develop a gonopodium, making them male. A male to female changes is much more uncommon.

I've had quite a few cases where males have turned into females, it happened to a few people I've spoken to as well. Yes some fry turn into males and others females but it is possible for this to happen

Back
Top Bottom