Stocking 40g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yellowfire

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, right now I am in the middle of my fishless cycle (week after nitrites appeared, still waiting for nitrates), and I can't decide on what I should stock in my tank once I can actually put fish in.

Tank is a 40g breeder, and I have a penguin 350b for my filter.
Ph is 8.4 out of my tap. I have somewhat bright lights, I don't know if that scares some fish or not. I will probably keep my water about 75 once my cycle is complete.

I know I want 10 neon tetras.
I know I want 10 zebra danios.
I know I want at least 6 cory cats.

After this, I have been playing around with a few ideas. At first I thought I would go with black mollies. Then I decided maybe swordtails would be cooler. Then I thought maybe I would go with a single centerpiece fish (honey gourami). Now I'm not sure what I should do.

I am in not attached to any of those fish and if anybody has any other suggestions they would be much appreciated. I would prefer something that is colorful over its whole body, not just a stripe like the tetras.

Right now I am leaning towards the notion of a single centerpiece fish, but if I had a trio or so of really colorful fish that would be great as well.

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor
Thanks.

Does anybody have any experience with American Flagfish? I feel like I remember reading that they might be too aggressive for the type of fish I listed before, but I don't really know that much about them.

Are you looking at Jordanella floridae? If so, they tend to be more shy so I wouldn't worry about aggression. The main concern I would have is mixing them with cory's. Depending on what species of cory you go with there may be a conflict in temperature ranges. MOst should be able to find common ground, but make sure you verify that before you go throwing them all in together.

Does anybody have any experience with male bettas in a community tank? I have read conflicting views on whether or not it will turn out okay. I've seen that if you stock the tank first and put the betta in last it should be alright.

Does anybody have any experience with male bettas in a community tank? I have read conflicting views on whether or not it will turn out okay. I've seen that if you stock the tank first and put the betta in last it should be alright.

Danios, corys, and neons are not likely to harass the betta. So you should be fine. Because there will be some current in the tank, try to stick to either female normal, or male plakatt bettas.

Danios, corys, and neons are not likely to harass the betta. So you should be fine. Because there will be some current in the tank, try to stick to either female normal, or male plakatt bettas.

Would a female betta allow for a greater range of species down the road, or are they both basically compatible with the same types of fish?

The male plakat betta or the female normal betta. Would the male take dislike to more species than the female, or would the biggest concern just be the other fish nipping at either of the betta's fins?

The male plakat betta or the female normal betta. Would the male take dislike to more species than the female, or would the biggest concern just be the other fish nipping at either of the betta's fins?

Bettas just aren't aggressive enough towards other fish for that to be an issue. The main concern with the long finned male betta is swimming in current and being nipped at. Or getting the fins caught and torn on ornaments, logs, rocks, etc.

You sure you actually want a betta though? There are much cuter labyrinth fish out there. Honey gouramis for example.

Bettas just aren't aggressive enough towards other fish for that to be an issue. The main concern with the long finned male betta is swimming in current and being nipped at. Or getting the fins caught and torn on ornaments, logs, rocks, etc.

You sure you actually want a betta though? There are much cuter labyrinth fish out there. Honey gouramis for example.

Okay, thanks. And I'm not sure about anything right now. I will have to go look at some in person to really decide what I want. :)

Back
Top Bottom