Stocking 4gal/15l tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheeesymelon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I had a male Betta fish for 4 months in a 15l/ 4 gallon tank until I put a new filter that i was given in to the tank! After the first day of having the new tank, the betta had been sucked into the filter and he died 2 days after! I guessed that the filter was too strong, so I changed it back to my old one which had hardly any current. Now, I have cycled the tank over 3 weeks, the pH is fine and I think I'm ready to get another fish! This time, instead of going for a betta, I really want to get a small colourful fish, like a neon tetra or a guppy! Unfortunately I know you can not keep any of those fish in a tank that sizebut I really want to get lots of small beautiful fish for that small tank! If anyone would give me advice, that would be great!

You could do 3 or 4 neons if you like those. They have very small bioload

It's really to small for tetras. You could look into nano fish. I can't name them off the top of my head but they're out there. Scarlet badis are great, with a troop of red cherry shrimp. Pea puffers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You could do 3 or 4 neons if you like those. They have very small bioload

While they do have a small bioload they're far better off in a shoal 10+, 20 gal tank..

While they do have a small bioload they're far better off in a shoal 10+, 20 gal tank..

True. I was just saying they could do it if they wanted neons. They aren't gonna die of loneliness if you keep 4

True. I was just saying they could do it if they wanted neons. They aren't gonna die of loneliness if you keep 4

How do you know for sure? I know for a fact that 20 cardinal tetras appreciate all the space in a 40b and 8 green neons appreciate all the space of a 30l. I also know that my severely depleted school of black neons huddle under the filter intake and act entirely different than when they were 20 deep. Now only 5 (eaten by larger fish)

How do you know for sure? I know for a fact that 20 cardinal tetras appreciate all the space in a 40b and 8 green neons appreciate all the space of a 30l. I also know that my severely depleted school of black neons huddle under the filter intake and act entirely different than when they were 20 deep. Now only 5 (eaten by larger fish)

I have a friend that did it and they were fine and happy fish

I have a friend that did it and they were fine and happy fish

You can communicate with fish?? Lacking voice and facial expressions I figure it's darn near impossible to definitively gauge the feelings of fish??

Hi, I had a male Betta fish for 4 months in a 15l/ 4 gallon tank until I put a new filter that i was given in to the tank! After the first day of having the new tank, the betta had been sucked into the filter and he died 2 days after! I guessed that the filter was too strong, so I changed it back to my old one which had hardly any current. Now, I have cycled the tank over 3 weeks, the pH is fine and I think I'm ready to get another fish! This time, instead of going for a betta, I really want to get a small colourful fish, like a neon tetra or a guppy! Unfortunately I know you can not keep any of those fish in a tank that sizebut I really want to get lots of small beautiful fish for that small tank! If anyone would give me advice, that would be great!

A 4G /15L is a small size for fish which like to swim a lot. As Brookster mentioned there are a number of nano fish, nano but most best kept in a 10G /37.5L tank because they enjoy swimming across the tank. How many inches /cm across and high is the tank?

If you are really interested in keeping a fish like a Neon Tetra consider the possibility of a tank size upgrade.

Shrimp are awesome little tank critters though they don't "swim" around like a shoal of fish would, they do kinda do a shrimp ballet and they are fun to watch. I keep Boraras Brigittae aka Chilis with them in a 6.6G /25L Edge tank. The Scarlet Badis will eat shrimp so that's a poor choice in combo with shrimp, but fine with the Chilis.

There are other little fish (Boraras) similar to the Chilis but lighter color, and different patterns, some get just .75" / 1.9cm.

What is your natural pH in the water from the tap (most accurately after sitting for 24 hours)???

That can help pick the better choices.

Last edited:
Hi, welcome to the forum :)

One thought here is that fish doing well can mean different things to different peoples. People locally have noticed a large difference in fish behaviour between an acceptable 4ft tank versus a 10ft tank (yes, we have some cichlid fanatics here :) ). Fish can do well (which we might say happy e.g. fins up, feeding well, schooling well, long life, etc versus not) and it's always good discussion to see what that may mean. Imo schooling fish have the trouble of preferring to be in a decent school so for the OP I think you are on the right track and possibly into the nano fish. To be honest, I prefer schools large enough until you have trouble counting them. It's still easy to spot any lost fish but the interaction I find is a lot more interesting.

Personally I'd try for a tank upgrade in size - options open up then. Is that possible? It sounds like you already have the filter.

Just in case - for the OP when you say you cycled a tank over 3 weeks, I'm not quite sure why that was carried out? I was assuming your old filter was still cycled.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I will consider a tank upgrade for neons! Until then I will probably keep shrimps or a betta! What size tank do i need for neons(as small as possible)? By the way my pH is 6.9 and I thought you needed to cycle a tank before fish? I have been for the past three weeks! Thanks anyway though

Yes, you need to cycle first. Did you keep the filter pad from the other filter and add it into the tank for the BB?

If you need some good info on tank keeping, the article link in my signature is a wealth of info.

The foot print of a 10G is I believe 20" wide (x 11"), but you can go taller and have 15G tall (or 20G extra high) in the same amount of space a 10G will sit on, but you will have the advantage of 5 more gallons of course, more space to keep fish. :)

One of the better sizes is a 29G long, better swimming area for schooling and allows a variety of fish - 30" wide (also a 37G in a 30 wide space).

You get the idea...many more options. As well as some cube tanks, etc. for the future to consider.

If you want to keep shrimp give the tank some time to make sure it is fully cycled and stable. Be careful not to over feed the tiny little guys. Boraras Brigittae would be better to get before you get the shrimp if you are looking into fish. Then wait to make sure the parameters are stable for a month or so before adding shrimp.

It gives the tank some time to mature a little and get the biofilm /aufwuchs (microfood source) growing for tiny shrimp fry when they come about and shrimp eat it too. But you still need to feed them appropriately.

You could also look into some fish called Sundadanios (Red, Green or Blue). They like planted tank with DW and a little leaf litter for tannins and pH under ~7. They get 3/4 inch. Would work with a pair of Scarlet Gem Badis aka Dario Dario. They are a micro predator and will pick at tiny shrimp fry.

The 2 videos are from Rachel O'Leary who specializes in nano fish and also coauthored a book about them, and knows a lot about nano fish.

Red

Chilis

I have kept the Sundadanio (neon) blue they are called lots of things in the fish stores like Neon Blue Rasbora, Sundadanio Axlerodi (then the color of red, blue or green) / rasbora and they are amazinly beautiful. An unusual, not always easy to locate fish.

So could I keep neons in a 15l then without them dieing,would they still be happy though?

You really shouldn't but if you insist.. Green neons are smaller so they'd be best. Again though, I'd advise looking into nano species.

So could I keep neons in a 15l then without them dieing,would they still be happy though?

One idea would be you could check out the tanks at the fish shop and see how they move around (just imagine a little bigger for growth). I read the warnings on tiger barbs, thought they couldn't be that bad, checked them out for 5 minutes darting around and thought they are actually little, darty, nippy sods (grabbed 10 :) ).

In the first post you mentioned cycling the tank. How did you go about doing this? You do need an ammonia source to sustain it in the absence of fish.
IMO I'd wait until you get the larger tank before getting the neons. It's a bit cramped in the 4g. If you frequently monitor the parameters (Amm/trite/trate) and keep up with water changes you might get away with it in the 4g.

One idea would be you could check out the tanks at the fish shop and see how they move around (just imagine a little bigger for growth). I read the warnings on tiger barbs, thought they couldn't be that bad, checked them out for 5 minutes darting around and thought they are actually little, darty, nippy sods (grabbed 10 :) ).

So what are you saying about user barbs haha? They are as psychotic as everyone says?

So what are you saying about user barbs haha? They are as psychotic as everyone says?

Pretty good description lol. I thought they might settle in a large tank but the school would be fine, blink and one would shoot off a foot as another took a nip at it. It was like someone pressed a button for a second, then all back to normal but full on for a second.

Back
Top Bottom