stocking 55 gallon tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish-4-life

Aquarium Advice Activist
this is what i had in mind:

55 gallon tank:
10 Cardinal tetras
1 Pearl gourami
10 Cherry barbs
8 Cories
2 cockatoo cichlids
2 german blue rams
8 rummy nose tetras
1 leleupi

i wanted kirbensis but im not sure... i dont want to oversotck or have aggression

not sure about kirbensis, i think you are loaded with dwarf cichlids and there really won't be room for them...loaded as in the space/territories are smaller in a 55G as its skinny and long;)

are you doing 8 of 1 type of cory? or 2 schools of 4?

Hello!
IMO, definitely cut the leleupi. They are Tanganyikans and really not at all suitable for a community setting.
Also, I think you might run into some issues with a pair of apistos, and rams, and corys down there. I would actually suggest you just get one of each species so they don't pair up and start a little war on the bottom of the tank. JMO. I have not tried to keep pairs of both those cichlids together personally though, so maybe somebody lese has a different opinion. :)
Other than that, I think it looks good. I suggest you start with school of just 6 of each and see how the water parameters hold and how everybody gets along, then you add more as you see necessary :)

im debating on the lelupi. i have seen a lot of community tanks with them with rams too. i thinking gonna give it a shot and just see what happens. if it works, great. if not then i can return it. i think im gonna do either:
2 rams
1 apisto

or

2 apistos
1 ram

which fish do you like more? im leaning towards 2 rams but im not sure...

I honestly say neiter of those options. I think you would be better off to just get 1 of each of the dwarf cichlids. But, having a pair down there, and another species of dwarf cichlid, and corys, and the leleupi seems way too busy.

I am curious about the this because I have never seen it, how big are the communities you have seen with rams/leleupi? How long have they been set up? Again, just curious because I have not seen it. :)

not sure about kirbensis, i think you are loaded with dwarf cichlids and there really won't be room for them...loaded as in the space/territories are smaller in a 55G as its skinny and long;)

are you doing 8 of 1 type of cory? or 2 schools of 4?

8 of one type of cory

I don't think a leleupi belongs in a dwarf cichlid set up. For one, they like different water chemistry than the rams, so I think it would be tricky to get them both thriving in the same tank. I think based on aggression alone you will probably end up returning it, but I'm interested to hear how it goes, so you should let us know! ;)

I would avoid pairs and go for 2 of the same sex, for either the apistos or rams.

It would be awesome if you could get a 75g. :)
As for the videos, I will just say that a couple of videos on youtube are not a good reason to stock our tank a certain way. If you have seen it in real life, that a different matter because you can ask the tank owner questions about how long it has been like that and the water parameters and stuff like that. The one in the first video was most definitely a baby. The gbr looked huge compared to that little guy.
Of course, its your tank, so if you want to try it, go right ahead. You already said you can re-home a fish if it comes to that. So, good luck.

if i ditch the leleupi what other fish can go in the 75 gal/ any yellow colored fish?

i swim said:
if i ditch the leleupi what other fish can go in the 75 gal/ any yellow colored fish?

For yellow colors, gold barbs Are nice and not as nippy as you standard tiger barbs. There's also lemon tetras. They look a lot better when in a nice, established tank.

Unfortunately, there are not many yellow fw fish. Lemon tetras are not really very yellow. Platys come in yellow, and they are awesome little community dwellers. So are guppies. I know they are not as big as the leleupi, but at least you know they can live in the set-up long-term and thrive. :)
Gold barbs are lovely too. They are worth looking into.
For that matter, gbr are rather yellow too.

Back
Top Bottom