Stocking 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neosilee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon tank and trying to decide on tankmates. Already in are 4 peppered cories, 6 black neon tetras, and a pair of pearl gouramis. I plan to add some kuhli loaches.

My main question is that I really like the black neons and might get more, but I was thinking of another school of something else just for some variety. Suggestions?

I have a 55 gallon tank and trying to decide on tankmates. Already in are 4 peppered cories, 6 black neon tetras, and a pair of pearl gouramis. I plan to add some kuhli loaches.

My main question is that I really like the black neons and might get more, but I was thinking of another school of something else just for some variety. Suggestions?

You might try "regular" neons for a nice contrast with the black neons, or maybe a school of rummynoses.

I'd also add three more peppered corys. Corydoras like to be in shoals, and you'll see more interesting behavior from them.

I just found a non-chain lfs somewhat close by that I've never heard about. Place looked nice, lots of different fish. But when I asked the lady about tetras and schooling, she said tetras are just fine in pairs. I know I'm new to this, but I thought tetras as schooling fish was newbie 101?

I just found a non-chain lfs somewhat close by that I've never heard about. Place looked nice, lots of different fish. But when I asked the lady about tetras and schooling, she said tetras are just fine in pairs. I know I'm new to this, but I thought tetras as schooling fish was newbie 101?

Unless I'm forgetting a species, I can't think of a tetra that isn't happier in a school. Certainly all the ones I'm familiar with and that are common in the hobby do better in groups of five or (preferably) more.

I'd be a little wary of her advice.

Back
Top Bottom