Stocking 8 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Personally I would not do the dwarf gourami. A sparkling gourami is a more appropriately sized fish (but I rarely see them now days), or perhaps a honey gourami (although even those would be better in a ten gal). I would recommend most of the nano fish already mentioned such as the cpds, ember tetras, microrasboras, clown killies, or even spotted blue eyed rainbows. You could do any of those with a pretty big colony of cherry shrimp. Sadly those fish are not always very easy to find, and in that case something like a betta might be the best option. Sorry if you mentioned this but are you going with live plants?

I will try to. I'm not sure yet. Do the two gallon difference between the ten and the eight make that much of a difference when it comes to types of fish it can handle?

It's not so much the number of gallons as it is the footprint of the tank. A 10 gallon tank is 20 inches long which allows more horizontal swimming space. More room for the fish to swim and develop properly.

It's not so much the number of gallons as it is the footprint of the tank. A 10 gallon tank is 20 inches long which allows more horizontal swimming space. More room for the fish to swim and develop properly.

Maybe I should just get a 10 gallon. Any recommendations? I took a look at the Marineland BioWheel and that might be a good option.

Maybe I should just get a 10 gallon. Any recommendations? I took a look at the Marineland BioWheel and that might be a good option.

A 10 gal would definitely give you many more options. You could do a honey or dwarf gourami with a small school of neons or harlequin rasboras. The BioWheel should be fine too but I'd also recommend an AquaClear 20 -- pretty cheap on Amazon.

A 10 gal would definitely give you many more options. You could do a honey or dwarf gourami with a small school of neons or harlequin rasboras. The BioWheel should be fine too but I'd also recommend an AquaClear 20 -- pretty cheap on Amazon.

How is the fluval edge? I'm looking at it now and it looks sleeker and higher quality. But it is way out of my price range. I think the BioWheel should be fine. It gives me many more stocking options and I definitely appreciate that.

I like the bio-wheel filter systems for small tanks. I've used them many times in the past. Do you already have the 8 gallon tank or were you just planning for when you got it?

How is the fluval edge? I'm looking at it now and it looks sleeker and higher quality. But it is way out of my price range. I think the BioWheel should be fine. It gives me many more stocking options and I definitely appreciate that.

Never had a Fluval Edge as I also find them a bit pricey. If you're looking for a higher quality tank check out the rimless tanks by Mr. Aqua or TruAqua. They're nicely priced for rimless tanks and you should be able to get free shipping. The TruAqua's in particular are very nice quality but the Mr. Aqua's I like because they have some really cool "long" tanks that are a bit more unusual. I'd link to them but on my app at work right now, so google should be able to help you out on that. :)

Here are some of the more commonly found fish that could work in a ten gal that you could research:

Neon tetras/Green neon tetras
Harlequin rasboras
Platies (3-4 alone would fully stock a ten gal, also very prolific reproducers if housed with males and females)
Honey gourami
Dwarf gourami
Betta
Pygmy cories
African dwarf frogs

I like the bio-wheel filter systems for small tanks. I've used them many times in the past. Do you already have the 8 gallon tank or were you just planning for when you got it?

Actually, I was just planning for when I get it. I think that the BioWheel is a better option than the 8 gallon aqueon evolve. It's bigger and wider. And it's affordable. I believe that the BioWheel is my best bet. A 10 gallon tank has a lot more options for stocking than an 8 gallon.

You might compare pricing of a 15 or 20 gallon as well. It's been a while since I priced a kit brand new, but if it's still within your budget to get a little bigger go for it. The bigger the tank the more options you have.

You might compare pricing of a 15 or 20 gallon as well. It's been a while since I priced a kit brand new, but if it's still within your budget to get a little bigger go for it. The bigger the tank the more options you have.

The dresser in which the tank will go on has a flat 30 inch by 17 inch dresser. Even with a ten gallon, my space is limited. But I will try to find a bigger tank within my budget.

Ah, still plenty of options. Make sure what you get does not over hang the edges at all. It needs to be fully supported. Here's a list that I love to refer to when looking at tanks (I usually buy used)

Standard Aquarium Sizes Available In the US......

Based on that list, the largest I could go would be a fifteen. The ideal size tank for my dresser is the ten gallon. I still have plenty of room on my dresser, which I will need for food, test kits, etc.

Aren't you glad you hadn't already bought a smaller tank!

I know right! I was planning to order it in the beginning of November, when my fourteenth birthday rolled around. I started looking early so that I can have time to really see which tank I should get. This gives me time to change my mind, which I did today.

I would help but I can't help yankees fans... :(

But, in honor of the Red Sox undoubtedly winning the world series this year, I'll make an exception. :D

For a ten gallon neon tetras and nano fish are pretty much you're best bet, along with platys. I think Harlequin rasboras need too much room. If I were you, I would take a good look at some nano fish (watch videos of them on youtube, learn about them, etc.), and you will probably fall in love with one of them. For example, I saw a video of celestial pearl danios on youtube, and now I'm going to start a 10 gallon tank with only them in it.

Well bettas and white cloud wouldn't mix well... but I'm sure you could maybe get a 10 gallon with a female betta sorority... but my 8 gallon preferences:
-2 guppies
-1 platy
-5 ghost shrimp
But that's me... Oh! And please get a male and female guppy if you go through with this, you could do two of either, but they are a good breeding fish...

I don't think a sorority would be a good idea in a 10 gallon...

:eek:

I don't think a sorority would be a good idea in a 10 gallon...

:eek:

I really, really don't either. Most do not work in the long term from what I understand. I had to separate my females, and it was a heavily planted 45 gallon community. When female bettas decide they don't like another female betta, they are RUTHLESS.

I really, really don't either. Most do not work in the long term from what I understand. I had to separate my females, and it was a heavily planted 45 gallon community. When female bettas decide they don't like another female betta, they are RUTHLESS.

Yeah, thats what I thought too. I was like, am I crazy, or is that a bad idea? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom