Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jones2w

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have 1 red tail platty and 4 tiger barbs in my tank (55Gal). I am adding fish very slowly, I was thinking of adding an albino cory and 2 ID sharks any advice on that?

Corydora Catfish like to be in groups. I would suggest a minimum of six.

The Barbs may get more nippy as you add new fish. I would suggest some more of those too, about th same size as your current ones.

The ID shark (iridescent shark, Pangasius hypophthalmus) is a bad idea. I know a lot of fish stores have some misleading info on them, but they get up to 4 feet long, see this link. They are also notoriously panicky, smashing into the aquarium walls etc. Anyway, not recommended for a 55. Lots of other great options.

I second the recommendation to get some more barbs in the school, btw.

should i not get the ID shark even if I want a couple big fish ??? I went to the LFS today just to talk and the guy seems very knowledgable I was asking him about the ID sharks and he said they only grow to as big as the tank will allow???

That is so false. :) Fish that are put in tanks too small for them will be stunted....the outside of their bodies stop growing, while their organs keep growing.....they die a premature death and are more prone to diseases.

Please do not get ID sharks or anything that gets over a foot long for your tank. And please do not listen to the LFS guy....he just wants your money. ;)

Back
Top Bottom