Stocking a 10 gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CLR250

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all!

So I am looking at resetting my tank, redecorating a bit and new fish mostly. My gourami passed away due to DGD which sucks but I look at it as a way to enjoy new, different fish. My current fish in tank are 4 Corydoras (trilineatus I think is what you spell it as) False Julies basically, and 3 glowlight tetras that I want to find a new home for just because I dont want just 3 anymore (the others passed due to ICK) and I dont particularly like them all too much anymore. So down to the point, Stocking suggestions, I dont really want any "small" fish, like tetras and such but I also do not want any gouramis because I am not willing to lose them to DGD again. Cichlids possibly? any suggestions help but like I said, I kinda want to avoid tetras and gouramis. A good thing to note is that since I am so isolated (hawaii) I cannot really get fish in very easily and am confined to what I can get my hands on at LFS and petco at this point.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Where in Hawaii do you live?
Also I hope you know that you are pretty limited when it comes to stocking a ten gallon tank. I don't think you will be able to have anything bigger than 2.5 inches.

You can't put cichlids in a 10 gallon. You would have to add some small tetras or another small fish.

A betta! They have great personalities, are easy to care for, and are so much fun. When given the space they are so active. If you have a relatively peaceful betta (each fish is a different), you could add a small school of tetras and some shrimp and snails.

I was thinking about the betta, and would absolutely love to get some shrimp, but I havent found anybody on maui that sells cherry shrimp or ghost shrimp. To answer your question, I live on maui. I know I am limited when it comes to a ten gallon as well. What about shell dwelling cichlids? I have been reading that people keep a pair of shellies in a 10 often, only problem would be finding them out here...

Shell dwellers would be fine, although I've never even seen them here on Oahu. How about two dwarf puffers? You would need to get rid of your current fish is the only thing.

Back
Top Bottom