Stocking a 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vanceric

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So we've set up a 10 Gallon tank with a hang on back filter and 10 lbs of sand substrate. Light artificial planting. When it comes to stocking my wife really wants something with "flowy" fins. Originally she liked Black Moors but a 10G isn't suited so I was looking at possibly a black male betta but IDK the first thing about what kind of tankmates he might get along with. Would he work well with a Platy and a male Guppy? Possibly some neons as an extra splash of life?

Thanks!

Ummm , flowing fins can be difficult , especially with a ten gallon but you could do 2 Or three male fancy guppys beacuse to many would fight , or it's yu eat you have to get several females be then you have to worrying abou them breeding. Neon tetra add a nice splash of color but don't have flowing fins and go nicely with guppys , do like 5 or 6. Do not put a Betta in there ! To big to stressful to populated , no . Um not much Elese so genetically modified mollies have flower find but I don't like them but good luck with your tank :)
Freshwater_King

Yeah she just wants one "centerpiece" fish with the flowing fins, everything else is all about the color. Thanks for the advice.

Bettas are very hit or miss with tankmates. A good option to try would be a betta with 6 neons, ember tetras, CPDs, or chili rasboras. Just make sure you have a back up option if the betta is too aggressive. If you decide to try this I'd recommend putting the betta in last. And while they don't necessarily have the long, flowing fins your wife seeks other options include a honey or sparkling gourami. Both of those options are very peaceful and would work well with a school of nano fish.

I agree with azmodan. I have kept several Bettas and I have found out that bottom dwelling and slow eating tank mates cause problems. Bettas are little pigs and will eat any kind of food you put in the tank. My Betta will eat shrimp peters that I put in my tank. He'll scour the bottom until he finds them. if you are getting tank mates, I would suggest a top-dweller or something that will come to the top to eat like tetras. That way they can eat the same time as the Betta and finish before the Betta can get to their food. If the Betta gets too much food, it can lead to bladder problems.

Yeah bettas are a hit and miss. It all depends on the kind of personality. I have a betta that just can't stand anyone in his territory, including me. He's mr. grumpy gills in a nut shell.

As for me I'm doing something unconventional for my 10 gallon only because of my circumstances and lack of fish variety at the LFS. At the end of the day, it's gonna be you that's gotta be happy with your fish tank.

Back
Top Bottom