Stocking a 10 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afurlow96

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My cycle is coming to an end as my Ammonia levels are going between .25 and 0 and Nitrates are around 5 and 10. PH is 7.6 or 7.8 i think. I have a heater that keeps the water at 78*F, so please keep that in mind when giving possible fish. I have a 10gal, lightly planted with a mix of sand and gravel in the bottom.
Right now my thoughts of stocking are

1 Dwarf Blue Gourami
5ish Painted Tetra
3ish Cory Carfish.. wondering if there is any size difference in them from Albinos, to regular, to green?

And if anyone knows that website to check how stocked the tank is please share.

Albino, bronze and green are all the same species. C. aeneus. They get about 3 inches in length so they are really too big for a 10 gallon. Look at the dwarf cories, C. habrosus and C. hastatus as these guys stay at around a inch to an inch and a half.

An alternative would be otos, but they are quite sensitive and really need a more mature tank with algae and biofilm growing to thrive. Cories really should wait a while too till the tank matures a little.

Albino, bronze and green are all the same species. C. aeneus. They get about 3 inches in length so they are really too big for a 10 gallon. Look at the dwarf cories, C. habrosus and C. hastatus as these guys stay at around a inch to an inch and a half.

An alternative would be otos, but they are quite sensitive and really need a more mature tank with algae and biofilm growing to thrive. Cories really should wait a while too till the tank matures a little.

How about the Gourami and Tetra? will the tank be too full with both and i would have to decide between one or the other?
And also i might switch out Painted Tetra with Black Phantom Tetra

How about the Gourami and Tetra? will the tank be too full with both and i would have to decide between one or the other?
And also i might switch out Painted Tetra with Black Phantom Tetra

Ok, I tried a few green cories in a 10g, and they didn't last long, only about 6 months later, and one is left... so I recommend kuhli loaches, maybe 6, honestly, as your bottom feeders.

Anyways, I think the gourami and tetras should work...

One dwarf gourami and a school of small tetras will work. As I said before, I've got a 10 gallon with one DG, five glowlights and four otos. It works out just fine but you have yokel your maintenance up and provide ample filtration. I run 30 gallons of filtration on my tank.

Ok, I tried a few green cories in a 10g, and they didn't last long, only about 6 months later, and one is left... so I recommend kuhli loaches, maybe 6, honestly, as your bottom feeders.

Anyways, I think the gourami and tetras should work...

I have never seen a khuli loach for sale anywhere, but if it is similar to a clown loach, wouldn't that be a bit too big?

One dwarf gourami and a school of small tetras will work. As I said before, I've got a 10 gallon with one DG, five glowlights and four otos. It works out just fine but you have yokel your maintenance up and provide ample filtration. I run 30 gallons of filtration on my tank.

I checked some sit called 'badmanstropicalfish(dot)com' where some guy will review your tank and give his opinion if it will work out or not, he notes it should only be a second opinion, not a definitive answer. Well he agreed on you with the tetras and dwarf gourami and said some false juli catfish might be okay.
I am aware that a 10g is not ideal for these cory catfish though and was wondering if there is some other (mostly) bottom dwelling fish i could get that would be a nice fit?

Habrosus or hastatus cories, maybe panda cories. These are about the smallest cories put there.

hmm, never heard of any of those. Only ones i have ever seen for sale are green, albino, false juli, and just a regular old cory

also, what eats brine shrimp? everything? because at a LFS they are dirt cheap

False Juliis stay pretty small. The biggest of mine is about two inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instead of cories you could get shrimp as a bottom dweller. They are fun to watch swim around!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 i would put shrimp or snail's in a 10 gallon.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Kind of late, but anyways, if you want black kuhlis, Petsmart (my local one at least) sells them at about $2.09 a piece. I would go to an LFS, but my parents don't bring me hardly ever since it's 45-50 minutes away.

For Cories you could do pandas, habrosus, hastatus, pygmaeus, or false julii. Green and bronze, no, and emeralds ABSOLUTELY NOT. Those things get to over 4 inches. They actually aren't even cories (brochis splendens). You could do neons or glowlight tetras maybe. I recommend chili rasboras or some other kind of small rasboras, but they are hard to find sometimes.

I would go with a honey gourami, it's one of the most peaceful gouramis and stays about 2 inches

Back
Top Bottom