Stocking a 20g with Tetras, Corydoras, and what else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kitling

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm setting up a new 20g tank and when it finishes cycling, I'm adding in my existing 5 neon tetras and 5 corydoras. I also have some plants in the tank (not sure of their names).

Is there any other species I can add to the tank? On AqAdvisor it says the tank's stocking level would be 53% -- Is this reliable, and does that mean I still have a lot more room for fish?

I really like bottom feeders and was thinking about getting a type of dwarf pleco or a loach (dwarf, kuhli, yoyo, zebra, or maybe another). I'm not sure if the loaches would be too aggressive with the other fish, as I get a LOT of conflicting opinions on this. What do you think?

Also, I will probably get 5 more tetras for a total of 10 in the school. If there are any other fish that can fit in this 20g tank and play nicely with the tetras and cories, that would be great.

I think you. Need to add the 5 more tetras and maybe 8 kuhlis and a dwarf gourami as a centerpiece and maybe even 2 male guppies

I've got a small shoal of Harlequin Rasbora. They are a pretty neat looking fish, and they don't cause any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I love the idea of adding the gourami! Maybe I'll get a pair. I've never had a gourami before but they seem like very hardy and beautiful fish.

8 kuhlis sounds like a lot, and don't they grow to around 4" long? I would have to get a tank upgrade very quickly... What do you think about one of the smaller species?

Actually now that I look at it, most loaches get to around 3-5 inches and need at least a 30 gallon tank... The smallest I found is the Dwarf loach (duh), so if anything that would be my only loach option.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405365651.296982.jpg this what I got off of aqadvisor which tends to be conservative IMO. So you could add the two guppies if you want. Also a lot of people put kuhlis in 10 and 20gals quite often

Hmm interesting. I'm not a fan of guppies, but I'll consider the loaches again.

I had never seen a Harlequin Rasbora before. I looked them up and they look cool, but they need a pH of 6.0-6.5 and my water is around 7.1.

Hmm interesting. I'm not a fan of guppies, but I'll consider the loaches again.

I had never seen a Harlequin Rasbora before. I looked them up and they look cool, but they need a pH of 6.0-6.5 and my water is around 7.1.

I have some and they are in a ph of 8.2 6.0-6.5 is only for breeding

I would highly suggest the DG. They're beautiful fish and grow pretty big, great for a centrepiece fish. Here are mine, Fred and George. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405368572.568106.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405368646.335047.jpg Getting a pair would be awesome but one bright male is a great centrepiece.

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Fred and George look awesome :)

I called my LFS and they have dwarf gouramis. Hope my tank finishes cycling soon!!

I called my LFS and they have dwarf gouramis. Hope my tank finishes cycling soon!!

But if you do two males together they may fight but it just depends on the personality of the fish

Thank you! I actually wouldn't suggest getting two males due to likely aggression but a pair or just one male would be great for your tank. I got lucky with mine, they're as aggressive as butterflies:p

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

But if you do two males together they may fight but it just depends on the personality of the fish

Just what I said below:) From most experiences the males become aggressive and probably will be if they're only in a 20 but I got extremely lucky with my boys in my 23.

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Yeah my pH is up at 7.8. They all seem healthy. I've had them over two years and only lost one. I've got quite a few acidic-water fish in my tank and I have had very low losses. Not a whole lot of breeding activity though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah if I decided to get two, I'd stay on the safe side and pick a male and female.

Thanks for the great suggestions!! (and if anyone else has more, feel free to add of course!)

You could do 1-2 dwarf cichlids such as the Bolivian ram, German blue ram, or apistogramma (good beginner types are borellii and cacatuoides) instead of the gourami if you like. Note that gouramis like to hang out up top near the surface while most dwarf cichlids will primarily hang out in the bottom strata.

Hmm I read that the Bolivian rams are very hardy and not too expensive ($7.50 each). I will consider them for the tank too.

instead of the gourami if you like.

Out of curiosity, can dwarf gouramis and bolivian cichlids be kept together? I will probably end up getting just one species or the other, though.

Someone brought up a Bristlenose Pleco so I'm considering one of those as well. They look like very interesting little guys.

Hmm I read that the Bolivian rams are very hardy and not too expensive ($7.50 each). I will consider them for the tank too.

Out of curiosity, can dwarf gouramis and bolivian cichlids be kept together? I will probably end up getting just one species or the other, though.

Someone brought up a Bristlenose Pleco so I'm considering one of those as well. They look like very interesting little guys.

I'm pretty sure that bolivian rams and dgs can be kept together. I'm actually looking for a pair with my dwarfs:p I don't know about the pleco though, I only have one and I don't even know what type he is! If anyone can help me, please do! View attachment 243208

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

They can certainly be kept together but in a 20g it might be pushing it a bit space-wise. Personally I'd go with one or the other.

Back
Top Bottom