Stocking a 29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

virus

Aquarium Advice Freak
hello all i just bought a 29 gal hood w/light and air pump and stand for 20 bucks and i want to know what i can put in there i mean im aiming tword cichlids mabe african but i need to know what they look like. or mabe a tetra anyone have pics of colorfull cichlids or cichlid tanks close to mine? i might consider a community.

hmmm i cant seem to figure that site out :?: but its intresting hmm anyone else have any ideas? o and i just saw this stuff in my lfs that supposed to make the water "auto ready" for fish without cycling is this safe and has anyone herd of it?

There are a lot of different options for stocking a 29 gallon tank. If this is your first tank be sure to read up on cycling. Below is a link to an article on this web site.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

I also highly recommend the book "The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums" by David Boruchowitz. This is the first book on tropical fish I purchased and it offers a lot of good advice without getting too complicated.

If you don't have any idea of what kind of fish you want to buy, you might want to visit a local fish store and see what they have in stock. If you find something that catches your eye get the name and post a message here asking for feedback on that species. You might also get some ideas on how you want to decorate your tank.

I use Seachem's Prime to treat my tapwater before adding it to a tank. I've also used Start Right from Jungle Labs and that is what my LFS uses.

As far as products to speed the cycling process, I've only seen two mentioned as being effective. BIO-Spira from Marineland should be added the same time as your fish and will cycle your tank instantly. Seachem's Stability is what I use but I haven't had to start a tank from scratch since I started using it. I just add a sponge from an already established tank.

hmmm i did not catch the name of it but it is refidged and the guy at my lfs told me that you dont need to cycle it once you add it, it like automaticaly does the nitrate cycle for you, as soon as you add it. but this is my secound time, but i ask if any on you have like a site that has ether alot of the common freshwater fish with pics and info, or a online Store wiht pics and prices thanks for all da help

The guy at the LFS was talking about BIO-Spira. It definitely does the job.

As far as web sites that have information on a lot of common fish, I suggest you visit www.fishprofiles.com. It has a lot of details like optimum water conditions, compatible species, pictures, breeding information, etc.

I buy all of my fish at the LFS but you could check out www.liveaquaria.com for an online store.

virus said:
hmmm i cant seem to figure that site out :?: but its intresting hmm anyone else have any ideas? o and i just saw this stuff in my lfs that supposed to make the water "auto ready" for fish without cycling is this safe and has anyone herd of it?

The cichlid-forum uses prodominately scientific names but if you click the links it takes you to a picture of the fish and in the bio will tell you the common name if there is one.. In other words if its in blue youll need to click it.. like with the 29 gallon alot of there advice is the same for the 20 long so they have a link to the 20 long advice and some additonal setup advise they seem to think is approprate beyond what a 20 long can contain..

ok first im going to go with some danios to cycle my tank and this is what the thingy said, and i want to put in these fish because im guessing from what it tells me that these fish are compatible? right? and PLEASE tel me if anthings wrong with it! or if some are not Easy to take care of! ok im off to the lfs!

Central American Aquarium

• Archocentrus nigrofasciatus - 1 pair
• Hyphessobrycon eques "Serpae Tetra" - 5

• Archocentrus centrarchus - 1 pair
• Capoeta tetrazona "Tiger Barb" - 6

• Archo. spilarus "Blue-eyed cichlid" - 1 pair
• Hyphessobrycon eques "Serpae Tetra" - 5

• Herotilapia multispinosa "Rainbow" - 1 pair
• Capoeta tetrazona "Tiger Barb" - 5

• Neetroplus Nematopus - 1 pair
• Ancistrus temminckii "Bristlenose Pleco" - 1

those are 5 choices you have for the 29 according to the site and yes they will get along.. and consider doing a fishless cycle.. no use in killing off danio's if you dont have to..

Example.. A 29 gallon with a pair of Blue-eyed cichlids and 5 Serpae Tetra's.. thats 7 fish total..

ohhh i see! hmmm well i also have one more question before in go off buying fish to cycle. can you cycle a fishtank with goldfish? will it make water unsafe for tropical or cichlids?

o and i want fsih becasue ill get veryu board bery quick looking at a empty fsih tank.....

Goldfish generate a lot of waste so I don't think they would allow you to cycle a tank properly. If you are in a hurry and can't wait for a fishless cycle then you might want to consider using BIO-Spira. This will cycle your tank instantly and should be added with your fish.

I wouldnt use goldfish either.. to be honest with you I wouldnt use fish at all.. You can cycle a tank with fish food, raw shrimp, or chemical ammonia.. or as gheitman said get some BIO-Spira if you absolutely cant stand the idea of the tank being empty for a couple of weeks.. the stuff is hard to find and expensive in my oppinion.. your going to have to use marinlands site to find out who in your area is allowed to carry it and then call and ask them if they actually do..

well i went to the lfs just a minute ago and i brought with me 11 buckaroos and i i buought a air pump tube, chlorine remover, air stone, it came up to 9.92 (becasue i had my membership card) but what else do i need to have a "fishless cycle"? and how long do you expect this fishless cycle to take? so i know how long i have to get the rest of the stuff...gravel,heater,filter,Fishies

Back
Top Bottom