Stocking a 29 gallon planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
Right now I have
2 zebra tets
1 molly
1 platy
1 small angel
1 bushy pleco
1 flying fox
Just got 2 bb goby's

Some shrimp and snails

My gf wants some fancy colorful fish now
Was leaning towards some fancy Guppy's and neon tets. Maybe a couple of each.

In the end I'd love to still get 2 ottocats

Will this be overstocked?

If not I'd love to get my pea puffer still

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd run it by Aqua Advisor, with your tank specifics.

If by zebra tets you mean either zebra danios, or some kind of tetra, they need larger schools. Same with the Otos. 6 each if you don't want them to hide all the time. Zebra danios are especially fun to watch in larger groups. Mollies and platies and guppies are all schooling fish too.

I think there may be other issues with your current stock plan but I'm not experienced with those fish.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I'd run it by Aqua Advisor, with your tank specifics.

If by zebra tets you mean either zebra danios, or some kind of tetra, \

Sorry I meant danios. My bad. Ive been doing that alot with fish lately.

My Molly and PLaty seem to school together for the most part. Actually almost everything swims with my dalmation molly, even the Angel thats left.

My danios swim with my flying fox with him leading. And even together they are like little bullets everywhere.

I planned on 2 or 3 guppies and neon tets since they stay pretty small.

Aqua Advisor is a pretty neat site.

heres the stats it gave me

AquStockImage.php

Also said I should upgrade my filter?
I check my levels all the time and they all seem great and my water is pretty much crystal clear. Not looking to upgrade this filter right now since we bought this all in a kit, so any suggestions?

Update:

Okay aquaadvisor is just broken.

I started again since I realized I entered the wrong filter.
As soon as I placed I had to zebra Danios it told me my tank was already 25% stocked...... I know that has to be wrong.

Going by the inch per gallon I can see I have plenty of space available

Inch per gallon really is outdated. Six one inch fish don't have near the bioload as one six inch fish.

I'd ask more about the Pleco. I keep reading people say they are very dirty and only the tiny ones (bristlenose?) go in a 29.

Definitely don't add more fish. Especially if you're under filtered. You'll start needing constant extra water changes.

What are your water tests showing? You just cycled the tank didn't you?

What are your water tests showing? You just cycled the tank didn't you?

Yes it just finished its cycle, so were trying to only add a fish or two like every 2 weeks.
The fish that are there are primarily the cycle fish.
The algae eaters were supposed to be the real first fish to get a head start on things.

my ph is pretty much 7 cause I started using a neutralizer additive.
My ammonia and nitrites are still zero and nitrate is still fluxing at what appears to be zero and 5.

I brought a water sample to the LFS to just to have them check it to be sure I was reading it good and they gave me the all clear.

Going to prob do a weekly PWC tonight as well. No vacuuming just small like 5% water swap

Glad things stabilized. As I recall you had a bumpy ride at first.

The things that adjust pH sometimes do more harm than good (I found after buying and using almost all of them). What was the problem that led you to use those?

Glad things stabilized. As I recall you had a bumpy ride at first.

The things that adjust pH sometimes do more harm than good (I found after buying and using almost all of them). What was the problem that led you to use those?

I have a really high pH out of the box here and I was worried about my angel fish.
This is supposedly an all natural neutralizer powder. Fish don't seem to mind and near instantly they all perked up.
I monitor every couple days now with levels and I'm going to start bringing samples to the store every time I go to buy a fish. Screw it I figure, let them use their test liquids lol.

It wasn't actually that bumpy, I was new to actually cycling and like to ask a lot of questions. You guys are all great help and it always worth double checking google.

I put off my PWC tonight. The gf whines it was late and wants me to wait until the weekend. Man does that annoy me...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How high is your ph from the tap?

Even "all natural" stuff can be hard on fish. PH swings even if they go from wrong to right are tough on them.

There's also the aspect of osmotic stress. Every time you change the amount of stuff dissolved in the water it can provoke osmotic stress. Osmotic stress has been shown to be more deadly to fish than pH issues.

Two of many reasons it's usually better to leave pH alone even if it's not ideal. Better unless you're a fish store trying to sell more chemicals.

I'm assuming BB gobies are bumblebee gobies. Those guys are brackish, not freshwater, so would not recommend. The bristlenose will work fine. If you get neon tetras, be prepared for them to be food for your angel--they're the angelfish's natural prey in the wild and usually (key word usually) don't survive them once the angel reaches a good size.

While I wouldn't say 2 danios are 25% stocked, the site is right that it's more stocked than you'd think because danios are extremely active. They would likely survive your angel simply because they swim faster.

If the filter is the one that came with the tank, upgrade or add another. The ones that come with the kits don't have the capacity to handle a fully stocked tank.

Did it come with a heater?

Back
Top Bottom