Stocking a 30 gallon Community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SimplyStarting

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone! I am fairly new to the site, and to aquarium keeping in general. Now I have a 30 gallon aquarium, which currently houses 3 peppered corydoras, and 5 black neon tetras. I did have 5 cardinal tetras, but after an outbreak of Ich, I unfortunately lost them all. So now, a couple of months after the Ich incident, I am finally ready to get my aquarium fully stocked, and where I want it to be. So I have a couple of questions about potential stocking ideas, and what you think would look nice- and be happy, in a 30 gallon together.

I was thinking of trying the cardinal tetras again, and I was wondering if a few dwarf gourami would fit into the mix? I want a couple of slightly larger, and less shy fish, to hopefully brighten up the tank. Also, do you think that the cardinal tetra is a good idea? Any other ideas of peaceful schooling fish?

Currently: 3 peppered corydoras, 5 black neon tetras
Definitely going to have by the end: 5 peppered cory, 7 black neon tetras
Thinking of having: 7 cardinal tetra, 3 dwarf gourami (2 female, 1 male)

PS. I have an undergravel filter, and a aquaclear 200 power filter. They are both older models, but seem to work perfectly fine.

Thanks!

IMO, forget the Cardinals, too fragile. If you like their blue and red coloration, research the Columbian tetra. A bigger, prettier, easy going tetra. Instead of Gouramis get a more interesting type of fish like Bolivian or German Blue Rams. Take your time, have fun researching future tankmates.:)

I've never had rams, but I've always admired the German blues, they are really cool fish. I had a Dwarf gourami, he was an awesome fish. Zebra danios are really cool too, they zip all over my 20 gallon. I also have a molly that is super friendly. She starts wiggling when you move your fingers in front of the aquarium.

Just a few ideas to throw out there.

Did not think I wanted any platys because of the ease in which they reproduce. Our LFS had some really pretty ones and suggested all males to prevent babies. We ended up with 3 sunset platys (candy corn variety) and 2 green lantern platys(which are actually blue). They add a lot of color to the tank and have not had much of a problem with them all being males. I have been really happy with their addition to our community tank We also have a dwarf blue flame gourami who we call Mr. Bossy Pants because he will dart after the other fish.

Platys are a great choice. I've never had males, but the females I've had have been great. Sounds like you have an awesome tank.

I was thinking of trying the cardinal tetras again, and I was wondering if a few dwarf gourami would fit into the mix? I want a couple of slightly larger, and less shy fish, to hopefully brighten up the tank. Also, do you think that the cardinal tetra is a good idea? Any other ideas of peaceful schooling fish?

Currently: 3 peppered corydoras, 5 black neon tetras
Definitely going to have by the end: 5 peppered cory, 7 black neon tetras
Thinking of having: 7 cardinal tetra, 3 dwarf gourami (2 female, 1 male)

I love Dwarf Gouramis, but I'd be cautious, since so many carry the iridovirus. If you want a peaceful gourami, consider a trio of honey dwarfs, or maybe a single pearl gourami.

Likewise, I'd consider neon tetras over cardinals. Cardinals need temps at 80+ and, as the majority are wild caught and stressed by the trip, they're more prone to health problems. In my experience, neons are healthier if bought from a reliable source. (Also have a look at green neons)

German Blues need high temps, too, and tend to be delicate. Bolivian Rams are almost as pretty, do well with temps in the 70s, and are hardier.

Good luck, it sounds like you have a nice tank! :)

The Blue Neon Dwarf Gourami is one of my favorite community tank fish. I have one in my 30g planted along with a school of 6 neon tetras. They are colorful and peaceful with one another. They share the tank with 2 albino cories, 2 emerald green cories, 2 platies, 1 small pleco and about 10 ghost shrimp. My tank is heavily planted with good filtration and oxygen flow. Everyone is happy.
GOOD LUCK with your search and welcome to our forum.

IMO, forget the Cardinals, too fragile. If you like their blue and red coloration, research the Columbian tetra. A bigger, prettier, easy going tetra. Instead of Gouramis get a more interesting type of fish like Bolivian or German Blue Rams. Take your time, have fun researching future tankmates.

I like the idea of the Colombian tetras, they are very nice looking. Do you find them to be shy fish, or more friendly? The Rams are beautiful, but I have no experience with them, so I have a couple questions about them. How hard are they to keep, because I have looked on several websites and it seems like they tend to be picky with water perimeters. Also, are they prone to diseases? And are they agressive, most sites say they are peaceful, but I just want to make sure before I get a fish who may bully my corys or my black neons. Thanks!! :D

I've never had rams, but I've always admired the German blues, they are really cool fish. I had a Dwarf gourami, he was an awesome fish. Zebra danios are really cool too, they zip all over my 20 gallon. I also have a molly that is super friendly. She starts wiggling when you move your fingers in front of the aquarium. Just a few ideas to throw out there.

Danios are pretty, and I have heard that they are hardy, they are also another good idea I hadn't completely considered. Your molly sounds super cute too!

Did not think I wanted any platys because of the ease in which they reproduce. Our LFS had some really pretty ones and suggested all males to prevent babies. We ended up with 3 sunset platys (candy corn variety) and 2 green lantern platys(which are actually blue). They add a lot of color to the tank and have not had much of a problem with them all being males. I have been really happy with their addition to our community tank We also have a dwarf blue flame gourami who we call Mr. Bossy Pants because he will dart after the other fish.
See that's what my main concern with live bearers is, they are beautiful fish, but I'm not prepared to deal with hundreds of little fry. And I wouln't mind getting all males or all females, but i worry that the females may come pregnant, or hold sperm (because I think some do) or the males would fight amongst each other. Your fish all sound great though! And your gourami sounds like a character!

Platys are a great choice. I've never had males, but the females I've had have been great. Sounds like you have an awesome tank.

Thanks!! As I said before, I'm just concerned about fry. And I'm not sure if platys can hold sperm or not? Or are the males aggressive? I have no experience with them! :p

I love Dwarf Gouramis, but I'd be cautious, since so many carry the iridovirus. If you want a peaceful gourami, consider a trio of honey dwarfs, or maybe a single pearl gourami.

Likewise, I'd consider neon tetras over cardinals. Cardinals need temps at 80+ and, as the majority are wild caught and stressed by the trip, they're more prone to health problems. In my experience, neons are healthier if bought from a reliable source. (Also have a look at green neons)

German Blues need high temps, too, and tend to be delicate. Bolivian Rams are almost as pretty, do well with temps in the 70s, and are hardier.

Good luck, it sounds like you have a nice tank!

Thank you! I did love the Cardinals and their vibrant colours, but Neons seem like a good choice too. I didn't realize the cardinals needed the high temps, but at the time I think my tank was running at a higher temperature anyways. (it was last spring since I had them, so I can't remember what my water perimeters were like when I had them.) The German Blue Rams are beautiful, but Bolivian Rams are as well, but they seem a little hardier. Would you agree?

The Blue Neon Dwarf Gourami is one of my favorite community tank fish. I have one in my 30g planted along with a school of 6 neon tetras. They are colorful and peaceful with one another. They share the tank with 2 albino cories, 2 emerald green cories, 2 platies, 1 small pleco and about 10 ghost shrimp. My tank is heavily planted with good filtration and oxygen flow. Everyone is happy.
GOOD LUCK with your search and welcome to our forum.

Thanks!! Your tank sounds lovely! My tank isn't planted, and though I originally wanted a planted tank, I was persuaded out of it by someone I know. I do have a lot of hiding places, and lots of artificial plants (I know they aren't the same to the fish, but they seem fairly content with the artificial). Does the Gourami get picked on at all, or vice versa? I assume the only ones you would really have to look out for is the neons, because they swim in the same area as the gourami does.

I think the big thing with rams is trying to make sure you get nice healthy ones to begin with. When I got my first tank, I did a fishless cycle, then I got some zebra danios because they seemed pretty "hardy", which they were. After having zebra danios, they aren't my favorite. They are a bit nippy for my liking... Then I got a school of albino pristella tetras (x-ray tetra).... then after everything was going well for 4-6 months I got a pair of bolivian rams. I had them for 3.5-4yrs (which is about their expected life span). I was far from a pro and I was able to raise them just fine. IME they do chase fish every once in a while (especially the male) but they are mostly harmless. They do just fine in a community tank. Now I have a couple pairs of GBR. So far so good, but I have only had them for a couple weeks. Once your tank is established you'd probably be ok with bolivians, or GBR. Like I said just try to get them from a good breeder and make sure you keep up on pwcs.

Btw is a a 30 long, or 30 tall?

Columbian tetras school together well. There likely will be a dominant male who will stand alone, while the rest of the school will give him space. I've kept them with Bolivians and German Blue rams with no problems.
I have a good working knowledge about dwarf rams, but there are a few AA members who are far more qualified than me to give advice on that topic.

Colombian tetras are great. I've had my school for 2 1/2 years now and I will recommend them to anyone. Very robust, great schoolers and they don't get testy with other fish.
I'd suggest the Bolivian ram over the GBR for you, just due to the preferred temperature. And a single male swordtail would be a really cool, active centerpiece.

Back
Top Bottom