Stocking a 35 gal and a 60 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alexgrippy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two tanks that will be done cycling soon, by the weekend, and I'm struggling with what to stick them with and where to get it, store or online. I'm looking for fish that are a little more unique or less common. I hate getting the run of the mill whenever I'm buying anything. So I'm looking for ideas on what would work for my two tanks, they are both rectangle shapes. I thought I'd ask this group to see if anyone had some good suggestions. Thanks in advance!

I'll always recommend cichlids, but I'll admit to a certain amount of bias.
Although I've ordered fish online on several occasions, and had no major mishaps, I would recommend going to an LFS, or multiple LFSs if possible. You can see the fish in person, talk to people who are (presumably) knowledgeable about any fish you choose, and many LFSs can special order any fish that they may not carry full time, which will save you shipping costs.

Well, depending on the types and species of cichlids, they could work in both tanks. For your 60g, I would say African Rift Lake cichlids, specifically Mbuna from Lake Malawi. For your 35g, I would say Apistogramma species from S Amer, or other small S or C Amer cichlids, like Keyholes, Rainbows, Firemouths, etc.
However, before you choose a type of cichlids, check your water parameters. Rift Lake cichlids will do much better in alkaline water with a PH over 8.0, and reasonably hard. Some New World cichlids like harder, baser water also, but some, like Apistogrammas, prefer more acidic, softer water.

Back
Top Bottom