Stocking a 36 Gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aww those guys are so cute! I think i have to get some corys now haha
They look like they are so fun to watch

When i has gouramis i loved the kissing gouramis, but i only raised them once. I also loved the blue gouramis.

And are just dwarf gourami he aggressive ones? Would it be better to think about a differnet gourami species?
Dwarf gouramis are actually considered one of the more peaceful gourami species. There are also honey gouramis which are more peaceful than some other gouramis, but they cna be rather hit-or-miss in a community tank with other territorial species like bruins' experience shows. There is enough space in the tank that if you want to try a dg and an angel and a ram, it could work out. Keep an eye out for aggression or bullying though. Many of the behavior problems that people have with these fish are a result of mating. If you just want 1 of ech fish, there is a greater chance for success. :)

Okay so I'd probably be okay with a dwarf? I keep seeing mixed info on them. I see them listed as great community fish, but everyone says they are aggressive. I think if I just watch for aggression like everyone has said and keep a single male I can keep one? I guess I can always take him back if it doesn't work.

If the two rams decide to breed, would that effect the whole tank? Or just the Cory's? I kinda doubt there is anyway to stop them from possibly breeding? With out getting just one or two females?

I was already planning on getting just one angel and gourami.
Hopefully it is possible for them to get along? They are all such pretty fish

Your not gonna know until you try. At the end of the day fish are individuals just like any other creature. You might get 10 dwarf gouramis in a row that are perfectly fine with everything then get one more and it be violently aggressive, nothing is certain. The key is watching and learning your fishes personalities, it'll be quite obvious quite fast if things aren't gonna go right. Its all just trial and error and ultimately that's what makes it an enjoyable hobby, it'd be boring if everything went right first time lol :)

Haha I guess so! Im just afraid I'm going to screw something up here :lol:
Well thank very very very much everyone! You were tons of help!

This set-up is similar to what I am working towards; just waiting for my 36gal. to finish cycling. :)

My (rather silly) question is: can Green Tiger Barbs be substituted for the Danios? I know that Tiger Barbs can get nippy unless kept in a large enough school, but would that be enough to keep them away from an angelfish or gourami? Also, would they be too boisterous for the other tankmates (e.g. angelfish, gourami, ram)?

Okay so I'd probably be okay with a dwarf? I keep seeing mixed info on them. I see them listed as great community fish, but everyone says they are aggressive. I think if I just watch for aggression like everyone has said and keep a single male I can keep one? I guess I can always take him back if it doesn't work.

If the two rams decide to breed, would that effect the whole tank? Or just the Cory's? I kinda doubt there is anyway to stop them from possibly breeding? With out getting just one or two females?

I was already planning on getting just one angel and gourami.
Hopefully it is possible for them to get along? They are all such pretty fish
Since the rams stay so low in the tank, their breeding behaviors mostly effect the other species who stay low in the tank too. Of course, as has already been stated, fish are individuals and you just never know unless you try. :) If you are planning 1 angel and 1 dg, and a pair of rams I think that sounds fine. You won't know for sure if it will work or not until the fish have grown a bit reached sexual maturity. But, IMO its worth trying and I think there is a very good chance it will work out well. :)

Back
Top Bottom