Stocking a 38gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brad15

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone. Is there a general rule of thumb when stocking a tank based on gallons? Currently cycling tank and just thinking ahead. Currently have 2 harlequin rasboras, 2 black neons, a bala shark, a emerald cory and a blue rainbow. Not much but don't want to overdue it. I want a BJS pleco and some glo fish.

Bjs? Spellcheck is annoying. BN meaning bristlenose.

general rule of thumb for stocking tanks:
1inch of fish to every 1gallon
this rule can be pushed if your tank is planted, but not by much

best of luck :)

djtypykuhl said:
general rule of thumb for stocking tanks:
1inch of fish to every 1gallon
this rule can be pushed if your tank is planted, but not by much

best of luck :)

I think that rule should be deleted from the internet. It is incredibly misleading.

Experienced keepers can help you stock! Stocking is based on the needs of the fish. And yes, it's best to keep it understocked.

First priority should be to fill out the schools you already have (once you are done cycling!!!!). The rasboras , cories, neons... They need schools! You can accommodate at least 6 of the rasboras and neons each, and I think you can do 6 emerald cories too.

Not sure if you can accommodate the rainbow, they also need schools.

I'm not sure if you can accommodate the sharks at full size and temperament.

The rasboras and neons are survivors of schools that I've had so perhaps adding more is a good idea. Do corys like other corys?

brad15 said:
The rasboras and neons are survivors of schools that I've had so perhaps adding more is a good idea. Do corys like other corys?

Yes adding more is a good idea. Keeping schooling fish not in schools is not so great for the fish and their tankmates. They can get nippy, act strange. And i don't think it looks as nice ;)

Cories do like other cories but will school with their own species for the most part. You can get different species but i suggest getting at least 3 of each species if you do that. Mine sort of shoal together, but they school with their own kind.

So when making a school, you suggest 6?

brad15 said:
So when making a school, you suggest 6?

At least 6, the more the better. Schooling fish want lots of friends!

Could you please give what you have, what your wishlist is, and what youre willing to take back to the store?
That way forum members can contribute their advice with more background info, if you would like an opinion on stocking your tank

And just remember that stocking comes after the tank is cycled ;)

brad15 said:
Hey everyone. Is there a general rule of thumb when stocking a tank based on gallons? Currently cycling tank and just thinking ahead. Currently have 2 harlequin rasboras, 2 black neons, a bala shark, a emerald cory and a blue rainbow. Not much but don't want to overdue it. I want a BJS pleco and some glo fish.

Also, surprised no one said anything, but that bala shark doesn't have enough room in a 38 gallon. I think it needs rehomed desperately, before it stunts. They grow to be a little over a foot if I remember correctly.

Tank is currently cycling in ammonia stage. My fish that i mentioned in original post are in a 26 gallon that I'm getting rid of. Again 2 rasboras, 2 black neons, a cory, a rainbow, and a tri-color or bala shark. I thought planning ahead was proper fish keeping? Regarding bala, I've thought about bringing back to store but had it since real small.

Hi,

There is no general rule. In fact, there are almost no rules. There are exceptions, warnings, misleading guides, but there are little to no rules to stocking. You make the decisions. What fish you choose and how big the tank is will affect that greatly, but it's all up to you. We simply analyze it and see if it's okay or not. If we were to make a huge book called "The Bible to The Stock of Fish In Accordance to Aquariuam Advice" it would probably have over 100 opinions with a page dedicated to each one, since so many people on AA have so many different opinions. :fish2:

Your black neon and harlequin rasboras schools should be filled out to 6 each school. Hate to tell you this, but that bala shark will get 12 inches long, needs a minimum school of six, and will outgrow that tank unless you have 150+ gallon tank planned for the future. Your emerald cory needs 5 more, again, needs six. What kind of rainbow? Can you post a pic?

Hope that helped :)

Wishlist? Not sure. Again, I would like a bn pleco for housekeeping and perhaps some glofish/danios for some color.

Rainbow is either a turquoise or an axelrodi. Have had for about 2 years and forget what sticker said on tank at lfs. I completely understand that I make my own rules, just looking for some friendly advice to perhaps send me in the right direction.

Rainbow is either a turquoise or an axelrodi. Have had for about 2 years and forget what sticker said on tank at lfs. I completely understand that I make my own rules, just looking for some friendly advice to perhaps send me in the right direction.

Okay :)

I believe that both either a turquoise or axelrodi will outgrow your tank undfortunately :( They have high activity levels and need a minimum group of six, so they would not be very comfortable in your tank. Do you have a bigger tank for them?

No I do not. 38 gallon is brand new and to be honest all that I wanted to handle. Not too big nor too small. So no good on that rainbow huh? So I suppose filling out schools and perhaps a new centerpiece instead of my poor baby bala. Such an awesome looking fish!

Back
Top Bottom