Stocking a 40 gallon! please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hubert90

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

I have a 40 gallon high with a longfin bristlenose pleco and an apple snail. I will be stocking it to a planted community tank, but cant make up my mind on what to stock it with.

Its currently bare bottom but am waiting to receive my seachem flourite. Its also running a Fluval 406 and a 4 x 39w T5HO light unit. The parameters are as follow:
- ph 7.4
- ammonia - 0ppm
- Nitrite - 0ppm
- nitrate - 5~10ppm
- temperature - 24~25 C (75~77 F)

I have 7 slender harlequin rasboras in my fluval edge which Im thinking of transferring over to this tank. Im also thinking about getting either a school of cardinal tetra or longfin zebra danios. However, my research has shown me neither of them like fast current (correct me if im wrong), and with the 406 canister filter, the current is pretty strong. I've also read that zebra danios are nippers and jumpers. Can someone please let me know if that is true? I love my longfin bristlenose!

So im basically looking for a schooling fish that will be compatible with fast current, my longfin bristlenose and slender harlequin rasboras. Any suggestions?? :)

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1184.jpg
    IMG_1184.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 46
I tend to stay away from both danios and tetras for reasons of fin nipping but the tetras would be better to keep around your pleco than the danios will.

Most people would suggest loaches or cory cats but the fluorite has a lot of mixed reviews as to whether it will hurt them or not. It would be up to you to decide to try them.

other fish to consider:
Platys - 1m per 2f
Mollies - 1m per 2f
Guppies - 1m per 2f
German Blue Rams (1 pair after tank is well established.)
Gourami - 1m
Hatchets - 5+ (jumpers)
Oto cats - 4+ (algae eaters)
Other plecos - Go to town. If they are different types of plecos they should get along great. Orinoco Angel is my fav.
Shrimp
Nerite snails

Without adding carbon of some sort you will run into algae problems. You could skip the pressurized co2 and use Excel or some other glutaraldehyde product.

I tend to stay away from both danios and tetras for reasons of fin nipping but the tetras would be better to keep around your pleco than the danios will.

Most people would suggest loaches or cory cats but the fluorite has a lot of mixed reviews as to whether it will hurt them or not. It would be up to you to decide to try them.

other fish to consider:
Platys - 1m per 2f
Mollies - 1m per 2f
Guppies - 1m per 2f
German Blue Rams (1 pair after tank is well established.)
Gourami - 1m
Hatchets - 5+ (jumpers)
Oto cats - 4+ (algae eaters)
Other plecos - Go to town. If they are different types of plecos they should get along great. Orinoco Angel is my fav.
Shrimp
Nerite snails

Without adding carbon of some sort you will run into algae problems. You could skip the pressurized co2 and use Excel or some other glutaraldehyde product.

German blue ram sounds very interesting. I just did a bit of research on them. Most website says that they require very soft, acidic water. My ph is 7.4. Will there be any issues?

I will probably end up getting some otos! I love these little buggers :) Ive always wanted to nerite snails!! but I live in Western Australia. Nearly everything non-native is illegal!! :( so its impossible to find any. Haha

As long as there isn't huge pH swings then everything should be just fine. A differing pH from their ideal range isn't very important. Stability is really the key to it all.

As long as there isn't huge pH swings then everything should be just fine. A differing pH from their ideal range isn't very important. Stability is really the key to it all.

Alright thanks! I'll probably go for that. If i were to get a pair of GBR, 6 Otos, 14 slender rasboras, bristlenose pleco and an apple smail. Will that be fully stocked?

Back
Top Bottom