Stocking a 56 column

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acidburn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm fairly new to tanks. I've had a 10g for two years now and it's been fine. Petsmart had a good deal on a 56 column so I bought that and want to get suggestions on stocking. I will be using a Fluval 406 and have real driftwood and fake plants(for now).

I was thinking of the following:
9 Harlequin rasbora
9 Red tetra
9 Cardinal tetra
4 Green cory
3 Otocinclus
maybe some platies for color or something else?

AQ Advisor has that as 90% stocking level and only 151% filtration.

I'm thinking though that having that many fish may be a bit cramped? My only option for fish is Petsmart and a not so great LFS.

Sounds almost fully stocked to me. You should probably up the cory and otocinclus schools to 5 otos and 7 cories, and add a centerpiece fish of your choice.

By the way, green cories, if you are referring to the emerald catfish, is actually not a cory. It is Brochis Splendens, and grows much larger than most cories. I would instead recommend false julii cories, or some other smaller species.

Yea I'm not sure what to get for a centerpiece fish. I'm guessing it is the emerald cory, liveaquaria says that it's max length is 3.5" When it comes time to buy them I'll see what other cories they have.

My personal favorite are the panda Corie's..little bandits! Lol maybe you want to add in some bleeding heart tetras and some small schooling fish such a neons? I have a pair of synnodonis catfish in my 60 gallon and love them. They chase eat other around all day seeing who can get food first

lol thanks. Panda's would be my first choice when it comes time to get them. I think my fish list is pretty much done except for I can't decide on a centerpiece fish.

Just so you know pandas are recommended in cooler water, under 77 degrees. Their life span can be cut dramatically short in water warmer than that.

Back
Top Bottom