Stocking a Nano Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jllapin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just picked up a JBJ Nano 6 Gallon. I plan on keeping it heavily planted. My thinking for stocking it would be about 6 fish that are 1" or less as adults, then some cherry shrimp, some ghost shrimp and maybe some snails.

For the fish I was considering a couple each of:

Rasboras
Neon Tetras
Endler's Livebearers

I have an established 75 gallon African Cichlid tank, I was going to stock the Nano with bio media from the Fluval 406 I have running on that tank along with some filter floss instead of the carbon.

What advice would you guys have about the type/number of fish selection?

Since I have established bacteria in the filter should I stock the full setup immediately to make sure the bacteria in the filter has enough to thrive?

Thanks!

The rasboras and neons are schooling fish. Need at least 5. This would put you over the '1inch per gallon' rule that you seem to be using. That rule is no good anymore. Get yourself on www.aquadvisor.com for a better way to plan stocking.

In my opinion the only fish you should stock is a single betta. Most fish need at least 10gallons for swimming space. Shrimp and snails perfectly ok. Just my opinion though

Two neon tetras would do OK in my opinion.(I've got a pair in a small tank) If it's heavily planted you can do endlers without a female. (females get over an inch btw) I have 0 experience with rasbora.

Any ideas on colorful, non-schooling, 1" or smaller fish?

I got an idea of some. Hold on and let me see if they are suitable.

At the end of the day you can put what you want in your tank, its your tank. But you asked for advice and thats what i will try to provide

I know and I appreciate the feedback. I don't have a ton of experience but I'd like to learn :)

Fish size is just one indicator; activity level is another. Most danios, tetras and rasboras (neon included) are very active so they require a good amount of horizontal swim space so I wouldn't put most in a 6 gal. I would look into nano fish like ember tetra, chili rasbora, or celestial pearl danio. Then for interest you could add some shrimp and snails. People also underestimate the interest a single betta in a tank can generate; they are fun fish to watch.

As for media from your established tank, yes it should instantly cycle your 6 gal provided you use enough. Test both tanks daily with a good liquid test kit though (taking media from the larger tank could throw it into a mini cycle depending on how much you take out).

Ember tetras possibly may be ok. They grow to about 2cm. Some are orange and some are red. I think ideally they need 7.5 gallons but they may be ok for you (hopefully someone else might say for sure). Maybe 5 or so with plant cover. Would prob look pretty nice. I think spice rasbora are probably another option

Ember tetras would be fine (several years of experience with them here).

There you go another vote for the ember tetra lol. Im looking at getting 10or so for my tetra community tank. I think they are a pretty little fish

You could put 3-4 endlers, 5 galaxy rasboras/ember tetras, or a single betta with snails or shrimp.
Other than that, there are not many choices for a 6 gallon planted.

You could put 3-4 endlers, 5 galaxy rasboras/ember tetras, or a single betta with snails or shrimp.
Other than that, there are not many choices for a 6 gallon planted.

Love those Galaxy Rasboras, aka, Celestial pearl Danio. Will be stocking my 6G with 6, then shrimp/snail later :fish2:

I'd do 6-8 embers, more like 10 if you go with cpds. I personally find the embers much less shy (therefore, more interesting to keep) than cpds. They look really boring at the pet stores, but really brighten up once they get used to your tank. They contrast nicely against plants.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

I'm starting to lean towards 5-6 Galaxy Rasboras. Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom