Stocking a new 45g?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smashhhleyyy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Right now I have 11 red wag platys in a 10g. Wasn't my attention but you know how they breed. The parents had since died so all of them are siblings and about 9 months old. They will be used to cycle the new tank once I am able to get it going. I also have a corydoras catfish that is about ten years old now. He too will be moved to the new tank.

Once that is all done I am debating between how I can stock it. I would truly love a rainbow shark or a peacock eel. It'd be amazing if I could have both but I'm not sure if that would work.

Any suggestions on that? Also, what about suggestions for stocking it in general? I am really hoping to move on from livebreeders. I am kind of sick of them after only being able to have them for years. That was why I pushed for getting a bigger tank. Sadly now I feel like even a 45g is too small for anything but the livebreeders. Grr. This was as big as I could get though.

So, help? Suggestions?

Rainbow sharks grow to an average size of about 6" and are aggressive. Typically they'll be fine in communities with fish of equal or greater size. It won't take long for that shark to outgrow the platys and start seeing snacks instead of friends.

You didn't mean your were going to use all 11 platys for the cycle right? That's way too many to start off with. If you're going to do a fish-in cycle I would start off with 2 or 3. A nice light bioload to get you started.

There are many fish you can keep in a 45g that aren't livebearers. Cichlids are my favorite choice, but you'd need to do a little research and figure out which ones you like and which ones would be appropriate for your tank.

Hold on. First things first. Look into fishless cycling... More humane and less work. No rainbow shark or eel. The shark needs a 55 and the eel needs a 75. Also, you should really look at getting that Cory a friend or 4, as they school. Have you looked at keyhole cichlids, apistos, rams, kribensis, rubberlip plecos, and bristlenose plecos? I like black skirt tetras too.
Btw... Those first 4 I wouldn't put in the same tank.

Well the thing is I cannot do a fish free cycle. Or do a few at a time. I do not have enough room in my bedroom for the 45 gallon tank and 10 gallon tank. I need to do a swap on the very same day. Therefore they will all have to go. It is either that or I get rid of all them. Minus my catfish, he stays regardless.

If anything, a couple will go to my uncle however I have been hesitant on that for awhile because they only have a 10 gallon like me and it already has an angelfish in it with another small school fish that was the lone survivor of that angelfish.

Then I have also been debating on donating the rest to a small fish store nearby. Before these a friend had given me a few young Cichlids which I quickly learned were no good for my tank and they also wouldn't eat for me. So that is where I brought them. I wanted to do the same with these guys when they were only a couple months old but now I have gotten a bit attached.

If I cannot have the rainbow shark or peacock eel then I would love to get either a rubberlip pleco or bristlenose one. I simply adore them but was worried they'd definitely get too large for a 45 gallon. As far as my cory goes, I know they school however I learned that after having him for years and I really don't know how he would take to suddenly having others of his kind with him after ten years of being a bachelor? If I did do that, would it have to be the same exact kind as him or could I do different subtypes of them?

I would rather stay away from the more aggressive fish which greatly limits it, I know. I would love to have a tiger cichlid oscar but he would have to be by himself in a 45 gallon right?

smashhhleyyy said:
Well the thing is I cannot do a fish free cycle. Or do a few at a time. I do not have enough room in my bedroom for the 45 gallon tank and 10 gallon tank. I need to do a swap on the very same day. Therefore they will all have to go. It is either that or I get rid of all them. Minus my catfish, he stays regardless.

If anything, a couple will go to my uncle however I have been hesitant on that for awhile because they only have a 10 gallon like me and it already has an angelfish in it with another small school fish that was the lone survivor of that angelfish.

Then I have also been debating on donating the rest to a small fish store nearby. Before these a friend had given me a few young Cichlids which I quickly learned were no good for my tank and they also wouldn't eat for me. So that is where I brought them. I wanted to do the same with these guys when they were only a couple months old but now I have gotten a bit attached.

If I cannot have the rainbow shark or peacock eel then I would love to get either a rubberlip pleco or bristlenose one. I simply adore them but was worried they'd definitely get too large for a 45 gallon. As far as my cory goes, I know they school however I learned that after having him for years and I really don't know how he would take to suddenly having others of his kind with him after ten years of being a bachelor? If I did do that, would it have to be the same exact kind as him or could I do different subtypes of them?

I would rather stay away from the more aggressive fish which greatly limits it, I know. I would love to have a tiger cichlid oscar but he would have to be by himself in a 45 gallon right?

Bristlenose places only get to be five inches. I'm getting one in my twenty nine gallon, so a forty five would be fine for this fish. They definitely are a joy to have.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

An oscar doesn't belong in a tank that small. You need much bigger to properly house an oscar. They get enormous! You shouldn't have any issues with the bristlenose, they often don't get larger than 5 inches.

And as far as dumping all the platys in I almost guarantee you will have some deaths if you use that many, I don't care how much you seed your filter with old media or use old substrate. Its going to happen. I imagine if you've grown attached to them you wouldn't want that to occur. Do what's best for them. If you have to give away some so be it. Its better than netting and flushing them two or three days later.

If you're looking for more of a community cichlid you might try a pair of blood parrots. They're adorable and have quite a personality. The fact they're slow and can't close their mouth all the way prevents them from being too aggressive. Still you'd want to stick with like sized and semi aggressive tank mates.

Well good news! I expressed my concerns with my mother about not wanting to give them away and how using them all in a cycle would kill them. She decided that it'd be okay for us to move the ten gallon to our spare room after a water change so they could all stay in there a bit longer and do a fish free cycle on the new tank!

This actually ended up making it better in general because with my old and nasty dresser gone it will be easier for me to clean up my room and move things around to how I want them. Then the new tank will be easily set up and going.

So now I definitely need just tips on the cycling which I know I can get elsewhere on here but hey, feel free to share. Then also tips for what would work with my 11 platies (or it is platys? I can never seem to find the correct answer..) and my darling old man corycat.

Why don't you go with a nice tropical community tank? Mollies, platys, some tetras or danios if you want some schooling fish. And definitely get some more corys. I don't think your other one will have any problem with them. In fact he'll probably just ignore them.

A shoal of 6 cories would be good for that size tank. They're also really fun to watch when you get a few of them.

Well, I was HOPING to stay away from the live-bearers, which I was losing my mind earlier and referring to them as livebreeders. Well duh, not like the fish are breeding with vampires. Anyway. I have had guppies, mollies and platys for years and years. Had hundreds of babies. To be honest, I am kind of tired of it. I never know what to do with the fry and can't bare to not try and save as many as possible. I was considering just doing a few types of schooling fish.

Again with the corys, can they be mixed yet still be considered being in a shoal and happy? Like my current bronze cory, then maybe an albino one and a few panda corys?

+1 to the couple schools of fish. I love my tropical community. Tetras are not live bearers and they are tons of types. I would also recommend a nice centerpiece fish, just as a stand out. I love ram cichlids, they are a peaceful fish and do great in communities! Look up bolivians and German blues, beautiful fishies. Also, depending on the schools you get, you could try a male betta. Depending on his nature they make good additions, and the half-moons are very pretty! As for the cories I've heard that they like the same species, but someone else will chime in on that one.

Back
Top Bottom