Stocking a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ozzthedog

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I just picked up a new 36 gallon tank. I'm looking for suggestions for fish and live plants. I'm new to the fish tank game anything will help.
Thanks

Hi and welcome! Before getting fish I'd suggest reading up on cycling and deciding whether you want to cycle fish-in or fishless (running a tank empty doesn't cycle it). This guide has some info: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

A 36 gal is a good size tank so you have a lot of options for fish. Are there any fish you've seen that you like? What you could do is browse some local fish stores and sites like liveaquaria for ideas then research the fish you like and see if they would be compatible with your tank---you can ask here too. :)

YAY! Perfect starter size for a FW planted tank! I love Eco-complete substrate in my planted tank. My fave plants are Amazon Sword & Wisteria, they fill in well & can tolerate lower light & don't need CO2 supplementation--of course, better light & CO2 would make them even better. But I'm a low-tech kinda person. I had Anacharis, it lasted quite a bit but eventually disintegrated but my Cory Cats kept it cleaned up as it dissolved. Cory Cats are wicked cute gentle fish w/ a lot of personality & fun to watch, they look like they blink! And get a few Otos to keep your plants clean but don't get those right away! They like a mature tank. Just make sure they're compatible w/ your larger fish you plan to get. In one of my tanks, I never see the Otos they're super shy but in my other tanks, they just hang out. Good luck!

And Hi :wave: , LibraryGirl!

Back
Top Bottom