Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollymoran View Post
I've just come back from the fish shop as I went to get some tropicals for my 100 ltr set up. When speaking to them they said i could only take a few fish today as its a new tank and you cant put them in all in at once. I had the idea that I wanted neon tetras but was told that i couldn't until other fish had been in there for a month. I wanted to get some small while silvery fish, cant remember the name. He also said you have to buy one species at a time. Is this correct? Anyway we settled on Pengiun Tetras as our first fish and could only buy 3 for some reason. We have been told to give them a few days in the tank then to come back and buy some more!! Should they be saying this? Surely this is wrong information as its gonna take ages to fill up my tank!! The Pengiun Tetras are so tiny it takes a while to find them in my tank, i would of thought we would of been allowed a little more.
OMG. You are lucky to have an lfs that gives such honest advice! Kudos to them!

Old 07-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Not this member of staff we weren't lucky, right miserable git and all the questions we asked he didn't seem to know answers to.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:40 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Not this member of staff we weren't lucky, right miserable git and all the questions we asked he didn't seem to know answers to.
Probably had a bad day, but the advice he gave you (in your OP) is sound. He is probably sick of people killing their fish through an excess of ignorance and enthusiasm. He probably won't keep his job long, as he is doing them out of business. He is most likely supposed to encourage you to get twice as many fish as the tank can stock, and a whole bunch of chemicals to boot. Then next time you go in, he can sell you meds, and more fish to replace the ones that died during the cycling process.
I'd be a terrible pet store employee. I'd be just like him.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:04 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Be patient, cycling your tank takes time- you will need to do daily tests of the ammonia, nitrite, nitrAte, and ph so you can keep your fish safe and know how your cycle is going.
The store employee is trying to prevent you from having an ammonia spike, by having only 3 fish, and allowing the bb to build up.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
The thing i dont get is their tank is much much smaller than mine and they have about 50 odd in there, and im only allowed 20!! Am gonna get my neon Tetras, one day!!
In most US chain stores, at least he one I work at, you are only seeing sections of a single 1000g+ tank and an enormous room sized filter system. The small space certainly isn't good for the fish, but fish sell pretty quickly so the stress is probably a hundred times less than the 15 min car ride in a plastic bag.

Tags
stocking, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com