Stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itsgracia

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 3 year old and he likes colorful fishes and that's why we are going to set up a SW next year. My 29 gallon has an Aquaclear 70 filter and currently have

5 Zebra Danios
6 Neon Tetras
1 Gold Molly
1 Black Molly

I do have Ich at the moment but planning on putting the next fish in my quarantine for at least 3 weeks. Can I have more fishes? Or am I stocked? If I can have more, can I put a Dwarf Gourami or two? Any stocking suggestion is appreciated.

How about the pristella tetras. My 3 yr old liked them. They get to about 1.5". How many do you think I should get?

Depends, what size filter? If it's a thirty gallon filter, I'd go with three or four, but if it's more then a fifty gallon, and you watch your levels, you could do five or six!

One site you could use that might help you with stocking ideas is AqAdvisor. Some here like it, and some don't seem to, but it looks like a pretty good guide to me.

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

You can enter your tank size, type of filter (or filters) you are using, and then add fish to see whether you've maxed out your filter bio-load capacity or overstocked your tank.

Also note that it is encouraged to go with 50-65% of the manufacturer's suggested filtration. So, for example, your AQ70 suggests that it will filter up to 70 gallons, and 1/2 of that is more then plenty for your tank.

Stocking calculators don't work very well. Stocking is based on the matters if personal opinion and research, not a bunch of numbers!(sorry I just don't like those things!):)

The AC70 is a fantastic filter on a 29g.

I'll second mfd's suggestion for another school of small tetras. Try glow lites or black neons.

The bottom of your tank is looking a little empty. Think about cories or khuli loaches.

Thanks for the advise everyone. My son and I will be looking at these suggestions and of course will let him pick.

We were thinking of the bamboo shrimp. This may sound stupid but do they need bamboo to thrive? Also do I just get one? Two would be great but I don't want a crowded tank. We decided on 3 pristella tetras by the way. Are they gonna be ok with just three?

I believe bamboo shrimp are called that because of their coloration, not their need for bamboo.

Start with one. Bamboo shrimp get pretty big and they're filter feeders. I'd hate to see one starve because there's not enough food in the water. If one is fat and happy, you can think about a second.

Ok just checking because Petco here has them with bamboo stalks and I asked one of the guys if they really need bamboo and they said yes.

Back
Top Bottom