Stocking Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicktrubilla

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20g Freshwater aquarium and I have made it through the woods. I've finally gotten it to a point where I'm happy with it. I still have to add a live plant or two, but I ensured a strong cycle with seeding material and blah blah blah.

Anyway, I have 1 male dwarf blue gourami, 2 fancy guppies, and 1 black mystery snail. I want to slowly incorporate more fish into my tank, but I want them to be interesting tank mates without losing compatibility. What animals do you recommend? I'm open to ideas from everyone!

Is it a 20g long or tall? I'd recommend ember, cardinal or rummy nose tetras, checker barbs, and definitely some live plants (anubias and java ferns are both super easy).

It's a 20g tall. I think I will do anubias and java ferns. Thanks!

I'm looking for another centerpiece fish that can coexist with my gourami. The remainder will most likely be a few bottom feeders or catfish or something and a few more guppies.
What do you guys think, for the other centerpiece fish and the bottom feeders?

nicktrubilla said:
It's a 20g tall. I think I will do anubias and java ferns. Thanks!

I'm looking for another centerpiece fish that can coexist with my gourami. The remainder will most likely be a few bottom feeders or catfish or something and a few more guppies.
What do you guys think, for the other centerpiece fish and the bottom feeders?

I don't think you should do Cories if it's a 20 high. I would do some shrimp then a school of cardinal tetras . :)

There's nothing semi-exotic I could do? I don't know many types of fish, I would pick up a book or something but I'm all out of cash. I can't get like a loach or a cichlid or something colorful?

It's not ideal but you could probably do a single German blue ram for a centerpiece.

What if I were to get a second and maybe even a third gourami. The one I already have is a male. Does it matter what gourami I choose? (honey, dwarf) What about if they're both female??
I'm just a little confused because it says gourami don't do well in numbers, which I understand, but my friend has a tank with 5 or 6 gourami and 20 or so guppies and they get along well. What if I were to get one more gourami and then finish the tank with guppies? (and maybe a bristlenose).

I have a community 20 gal tall that originally stocked 2 honey gourami. I got them at the same time and they got along great as juveniles but as they reached sexual maturity one began to chase the other incessantly. I'd say it's definitely possible another gourami could work for you, I'd just be very prepared to rehome it if it doesn't. 20 gallons is pretty small sadly and options are very limited for centerpiece-type fish. I'd proceed with a nice size group of tetras and get the tank nicely 'scaped, then perhaps look at other types of unusual fish. Shrimp are always fun additions too and contribute very little to the bioload.

A centerpiece fish is just that: a single fish for a center focal point. In a 20 gal space is limited and gouramis usually can't be mixed. In a pair one might kill the other. A pair might work in a larger tank, not sure about a 20 though. You could try another, but be prepared for a death if they fight or the need to return one if aggression becomes dangerous.

You could add something like:
A school of 6-8 tetra or danio or rasbora, like rummynose tetra, harlequin rasbora, neon tetra, etc.
A group of 4 small corys (panda, dwarf or pgymy; a 20 gal is too small for the "larger" types like sterbai)

I'd go with the pandas they are very cute I just got some a few days back they are fun to watch darting to the top and do little group loops up and down the tank walls :)

I have one fancy tailed guppy, (unfortunately Kankle didn't make it) one dwarf gourami, one clown pleco, a black mystery snail, and 2 neon tetra. I will add one or maybe two more guppies, and some more tetra so they can school (I had four but two died, NTD unfortunately). Thanks for all your help!

Attachments

• image-780461813.jpg
    image-780461813.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 45
Back
Top Bottom