Stocking Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Horticulturis0

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon set up that I've been trying to fishless cycle for a month now, no idea if I'm doing that correctly, but after a lot of research I can say that I think I am. I've been testing the water regularly and all the levels are sitting pretty, so I'm finally ready to think about adding some tenants.

It's got a heater and uses a Marineland Penguin 100 filter...so, what should I put in it?

I was thinking about 6 male guppies and 2 ghost shrimp. Is that too much?
I certainly don't want to overstock such a small tank volume.

Any other suggestions are welcome as well. Thanks in advance!

I have a 10 gallon set up that I've been trying to fishless cycle for a month now, no idea if I'm doing that correctly, but after a lot of research I can say that I think I am. I've been testing the water regularly and all the levels are sitting pretty, so I'm finally ready to think about adding some tenants.

It's got a heater and uses a Marineland Penguin 100 filter...so, what should I put in it?

I was thinking about 6 male guppies and 2 ghost shrimp. Is that too much?

I certainly don't want to overstock such a small tank volume.

Any other suggestions are welcome as well. Thanks in advance!

6 guppies and shrimp is hardly overstocking!! You should be fine with that though ...

40 gallon planted aquarium
1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

Thanks for the prompt response! As you can probably tell, I'm new to this.

Ghost shrimp bioload is next to nothing and guppys have a little bio load.

40 gallon planted aquarium
1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

If you would like a hardy fish to start out with I would strongly recommend a male betta. They are clever little things and are beautiful too. Most of them come to recognize their owner very quickly and are very curious to know what's happening around them! If you do consider getting one you will need to somehow dampen the strong flow of the filter as this will stress the betta out like crazy. They are used to very slow moving current and will try to jump out of the tank if they get too stressed (Unfortunately, I know from experience :()

Luckily I have a hood, but I don't want to needless stress any one out. I don't think the filter outflow is terrible, then again I'm not a fish. I suppose I'll know by the end of the week though...we're planning on getting the fish tomorrow!

If you would like a hardy fish to start out with I would strongly recommend a male betta. They are clever little things and are beautiful too. Most of them come to recognize their owner very quickly and are very curious to know what's happening around them! If you do consider getting one you will need to somehow dampen the strong flow of the filter as this will stress the betta out like crazy. They are used to very slow moving current and will try to jump out of the tank if they get too stressed (Unfortunately, I know from experience :()

No male Betta if you're going to have male guppies. Chances are good you'll run into aggression issues. Bettas don't tolerate other brightly colored fish in their environment very well...resembles another male Betta to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No male Betta if you're going to have male guppies. Chances are good you'll run into aggression issues. Bettas don't tolerate other brightly colored fish in their environment very well...resembles another male Betta to them.

I wasn't implying putting them together I was just giving other suggestions if they didn't end up getting guppies. I would never put a betta with something that isn't compatible with it. (y)

Luckily I have a hood, but I don't want to needless stress any one out. I don't think the filter outflow is terrible, then again I'm not a fish. I suppose I'll know by the end of the week though...we're planning on getting the fish tomorrow!

Yay!(y)What type of fish are you getting? :fish1:

Welp...given that it's a team project with my daughter, I laid out pics of all the live bearers for her and let her choose; she chose guppy with ghost shrimp. We're heading out this evening to get them. I;ll be sure to post a pic or two of the set up.

Added 6 male guppy and 4 ghost shrimp yesterday evening. Everything is good so far barring the loss of one guy who strayed too close to the back between the glass and intake. Long story short he got stuck for a few minutes, my wife noticed it and we got him off...but the damage was done.
-1 guppy :(
So, my question for y'all is, would placing a barrier (such as fake plant) in front of said intake adversely impact the filtration?

Yes, it will make the intake suck in less water, but that's only if some of the leaves get sucked onto the intake tube

You can get something called a "prefilter sponge" to stick over that. Or you can put a couple of thicknesses of new (rinsed) pantyhose/nylon material around it.

Thanks! I'll look into that...the others seem to be avoiding the intake quite readily now. I was also curious if there was any middle swimmer I could add in a month or two since I have a top and bottom swimmer?
Of course I don't want to overcrowd such a small tank, and need to let the others get acclimated before adding anything...but hot dang this hobby is slightly addicting.

If you add plenty of plants you could try some small fishes. Guppies are pretty voracious, so it needs to be a fish that can compete without being vicious.

The filter sponge worked like a charm! Thanks for the great idea! Now onto a different question I inherited a tank and stand from my dad that I think is 30 gallon, but he swears it's 45 gallon...unfortunately he bought it probably 20 years ago and hasn't used it in 5. It's dimensions are 30 inch L x 18 inch T x 12 inch W...so, any of y'all have any clue what the volume of said tank is?

Back
Top Bottom