Stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purpurin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there,

I'm currently planning to reset my tank and in need of some stocking advice.

My tank size is 30x60x45cm approximately 70l

I currently have 3 bronze Cory and wanting to get some small schooling fish and a pair of bigger fish.

What do you think about getting neon tetra and a pair of gourami?

I'm thinking about either honey or pearl gourami, but I read that pearl gourami might be too big for my tank size.

Tank would be planted (I'm still thinking about what I should plant)

Your thoughts?

Yup, pearls would be too big for a <20 gal tank.

Neons would work great. Get a good size school. I woke up your Cory numbers by 2. Get the same kind, not a different Cory. They like to be in a larger school and different Corys do not school together.

Honey gouramis will do fine.

Try not to get small schools of different fishes. That's a common mistake that people make.

With your neons, Corys and honey gouramis, you should be pretty good.

Sense check your stocking at aqadvisor.com

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh, as for plants, need more info. What substrate, what lighting, co2 or not? If you are a beginner experimenting with plants for the first time, I suggest Anubias nana. You can tie it down and not have to plant it and worry about substrate etc. whatever light you have should do fine.

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
Do you think 6 neon would be a good number?

I've got some Ada soil for the substrate ( I heard it's really good ) thinking to plant some of these ( not necessarily all of them ) Java fern, anubias if any of the lfs stock it, Amazon sword, dwarf Sagittarius and crypts

I've got low light and no co2.
These are the list of plants my lfs suggested.

Do you think those plants would be ok in the tank?

Thanks

Yup, good substrate. Those are all plants that will work. You might still eventually have to supplement with nitrates and phosphates (and perhaps liquid carbon) depending on how heavily you're planting.

Yeah, 6 is what I'd recommend as a minimum number. You might be able to squeeze in a couple more. Check in aqadvisor.com.

Should I start supplement the plants from the get go? I read that excel would be good to add in the tank to help plant growth.

Thx for replying!!

Yeah, cannot hurt. If you dose with excel then you most definitely have to add the appropriate ferts. That's the reason I said eventually. If you have low light, the co2 in your water may be just enough for the plants to thrive. But that again depends on your plant density. If you plan to dose excel, also make sure you get dry ferts - kno3, kh2po4 and trace. I dose once weekly and it works great for me. You'll spend about 30-40 bucks on the ferts, but that'll last you a lifetime. Excel is a recurring cost, but for a 20 gal aquarium, might not be terrible. You can even start with 1/2 the recommended dose and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom