Stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheeesymelon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is 3 dwarf gourami and 8 neon tetra overstocked for a 15 gal/60 l tank? I have recently bought a 60l nano cube tank for some fish and I have been cycling with no fish! Now I am looking for fish to buy for it! I would really like a selection of neons and some slightly bigger fish like dwarf gourami or sword tails or something but I just wondered what fish I should get! Im looking for a variety selection of fish so I want them to differentiate as much as possible between fish but the one fish I definitely want are neons! I put 8 because they have to be in fairly big shoal of fish but if they need to be kept in less than 8 with other fish I will be fine with that as long as I can keep other fish like platies or mollies or dwarf gourami or maybe something else?? Thanks

Dwarf gouramis can be mean to each other (though they're among the gentler gouramis). I recommend just one male in a tank that size. The eight neons are fine (I'd go with nine: odd schools look better, for some reason.), but I'd also recommend looking at some bottom feeders: perhaps five panda corys (cories?). That should give you a very pretty and active tank. (y)

What kind of filter do you have on it?

Thanks for the advice! If I don't have gouramis could I have a couple of platies or something? My filter is a 1000 lw sponge filter! I can't find the exact thing online but it cost something like £15 (about $18)! I will also look into cories! Thanks

Oh, sure. I keep platys with neons, and they get along just fine. Just be aware you're likely to get fry with the platys, so, if you do get them, have a plan of what to do so they don't overrun your tank.

Oh, sure. I keep platys with neons, and they get along just fine. Just be aware you're likely to get fry with the platys, so, if you do get them, have a plan of what to do so they don't overrun your tank.
Could i keep a mixture of 1 platy 1molly and 1 sword tail without them being lonely?

Swords are very active and should be in a 30g minimum IME.

You could get all male Platies. If you buy any females you might get babies.

I like 20g or larger for Mollies as well considering some hit 4". But that's my opinion.

You could do Harlequin Rasboras. Very peaceful and different body shape than Neons.

Back
Top Bottom