Stocking advice for a 35 litre tank (just over 9 gallons)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddynev

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all, just setting up our first starter tank which is an Elite Style 35 rectangular tank which came with an Elite 50w heater and an Elite Stingray 10 filter which filters up to 50 litres. We have it quite well stocked with gravel and fake plants and obviously the odd ornament for my daughters. We are currently cycling it fish less and whilst we are waiting we are excitedly looking around several LFS and on this forum but would like some advice please. We like the look of bettas, cardinal tetras, sunset platys and cobra guppys. Most of the LFS suggest 9-10 fish for this size of tank. We don't want to overstock but also want some variety. We are thinking about the following

1 male betta
5 cardinal tetras
2 sunset platys
2 cobra guppys

Thanks very much. Look forward to your replies.

Bettas are hit and miss with tank mates some tolerate them, others do not. If you going to keep a Betta with other fish have nothing with flowing find like guppies and nothing that could nip the bettas fins. So you would have to choose between a Betta or guppies.
9g is a touch too small for platys. You might be able to get away with one IMO. The cardinals get too large and active for a 9g. Ember tetras are bright and stay small enough.
I wouldn't listen to the pet/fish stores when it comes to stocking a tank. Most have no idea or simply don't care. 8-9 fish in that tank could work if they where embers but if you got guppies or platys it wouldn't. There are too many factors to take into consideration to use a blanket statement like 1 inch per gallon for example.
I would have:
A Betta and 6-8 embers or
three guppies (all male) and 6 embers or
A platy and 6 embers or
A platy and three guppies

Last edited:
I have a 35 litre tank. And my betta is shortly going to get the tank to himself as he is far to aggressive.

I have mine with Embers and pitbull plecos, and he is still highly aggressively to them and stresses, he cant tolerate any movement.

Guppys are a big no imo as a betta will see them as a threat and will constantly harass them as they look similar to bettas.

I would suggest seeing how he will get on with say just 7 cardinals/neons/embers and then go fron there. You might be lucky n get one which can tolerate tank mates.

Thanks, there's just so much to think about. It's good to know that we might be able to get one platy at least as they seem really colourful. Will have to go and look at the embers again, my daughter is just so taken by the cardinals that she goes straight to them in the stores, but if they need a bigger tank then we'll have to think again. It's good to know that the betta and guppies mix is best avoided and actually that the betta might not work at all. How about some tetras a couple of cobra guppies and then if it goes ok maybe one platy?

Daddynev said:
Thanks, there's just so much to think about. It's good to know that we might be able to get one platy at least as they seem really colourful. Will have to go and look at the embers again, my daughter is just so taken by the cardinals that she goes straight to them in the stores, but if they need a bigger tank then we'll have to think again. It's good to know that the betta and guppies mix is best avoided and actually that the betta might not work at all. How about some tetras a couple of cobra guppies and then if it goes ok maybe one platy?

I would choose two of the three because 9g isn't big enough for all of them.

Daddynev said:
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. Guppies and tetras it is. :)

:) IMO 3 male guppies (so you don't get fry!) and 6-8 tetras (depending what kind you get). I recommend embers because they are small and not as active as cardinals and neons.
Good luck with your cycling! :)

Thank you, we can't wait. Sorry to be a pain but would you recommend introducing them in any particular order ?

Mumma.of.two said:
:) IMO 3 male guppies (so you don't get fry!) and 6-8 tetras (depending what kind you get). I recommend embers because they are small and not as active as cardinals and neons.
Good luck with your cycling! :)

Would be the safest bet imo, just make sure to give the embers a v good diet as there orange colour will fade otherwise.

Daddynev said:
Thank you, we can't wait. Sorry to be a pain but would you recommend introducing them in any particular order ?

If you are fishless cycling technically you will have enough bacteria to handle the entire fish load added all at once. :) One of the advantages of fishless.

Back
Top Bottom