stocking advice for beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saap123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone,
I am hoping some of you more experienced aquarists out there will be able to answer my question. (have received a lot of conflicting info)
I have a 12g Eclipse tank which currently contains my male betta, 8 harlequin rasboras, 3 ghost shrimp and a zebra nerite snail.
Is this too much for my tank? :confused:
Everyone seems happy & healthy, but I'm worried that I may have over-stocked.
I had started with 6 rasboras but they seemed very skittish and would just cluster and twitch in unison. Since I added the last 2, they are much more outgoing and playful.

Thanks in advance, your advice is appreciated.

Moved to the Freshwater - Getting Started section. Welcome to AA! :)

Hi,
The plants in my tank are artificial and the filter is the Eclipse system 12 - 150gph with biowheel.

Sorry should have given that info to begin with.

I'd say that your about at the limit. Not necessarily overstocked though. If they are happy, you don't overfeed, and you have good maintenance pratices I think it will be just fine. We actually have a similar setup with a 10G Tetra halfmoon setup at our local senior center. 1 Betta, 6 harlies, and a zebra nerite. It does have live plants though so that helps. Obviously, I dig your stocking choices. lol

Welcome to AA!

I don't think your too stocked by the sound of it, I don't count shimp and snails(in resonalbe nummer) into the bio copacity of the tank they help more than hurt. What filter media do you use? is their a space avlibe for some bio media to sit in and have running water over it. Doing something like this can let you have more room for bacteria to grow wich means it should be able to suport life.

Do you have a master test kit? I think while it may initially look like it's slightly overstocked, if you are keeping up with your pwc's and testing your water regularly to assure it is free of ammonia/nitrite and, you are keeping the nitrates ideally from exceeding 20, then you are just fine :)

Back
Top Bottom