Stocking Advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bluegillfreak

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just purchased a new 56g Column tank to rehome my two opaline/blue gourami into and was wanting to add some new fish. I would love to have a school of 6-12 cory cats, some type of pleco and some bright colored fish preferably blue in color but I am open to any suggestions.

You can certainly do some cory cats in a tank that size. What are the dimensions of it?
As for blue fish, check out the cochu's blue tetra, cardinal tetra, or MAYBE the emperor tetra depending on your dimensions.
Also, blue mickey mouse platies are a good option as well.
For some color contrast, some other brightly colored schoolers include gold barbs, cherry barbs, and green fire tetras.

You can certainly do some cory cats in a tank that size. What are the dimensions of it?
As for blue fish, check out the cochu's blue tetra, cardinal tetra, or MAYBE the emperor tetra depending on your dimensions.
Also, blue mickey mouse platies are a good option as well.
For some color contrast, some other brightly colored schoolers include gold barbs, cherry barbs, and green fire tetras.

The Dimensions: 30" W x 18" D x 24" H

Good, then you have some nice cory space. How many you can get will depend on what species you are looking at since some are bigger than others.

I was thinking about either peppered Cory's or maybe False Julii Cory Cat (Corydoras sp

I would say you could get 8 peppered or 8 false Julies easily in that tank.

Alright so 8 peppered cory's, 2 gourami, could I also do a couple Boesemani Rainbow fish?

yeah, rainbow fish would work. for blue you could do neon or cardinal tetras. or maybe (not blue) tiger barbs. they are nice and colorful. you should give more specifics about what kind of fish you want. should they be big, small, etc.

yeah, rainbow fish would work. for blue you could do neon or cardinal tetras. or maybe (not blue) tiger barbs. they are nice and colorful. you should give more specifics about what kind of fish you want. should they be big, small, etc.

Sorry I am not very specific lol, I know I don't want to do tetras because I have them in my 10G already.

The two gourami are a must because I already have them, could I do two of the rainbow fish, 8-10 cory cats and be ok to have a school of somthing else? I would absolutely love to have green tiger barbs but someone said tigers would be nippy to the gourami but If I remember right arent tiger barbs only nippy if kept alone or in small numbers?

Of course, the gourami are going to be a centerpiece, but you could add 10-12 cories, a school of 6+ tigers (they shouldn't be too nippy) and another school of fish. I recommend maybe 10-12 rummynose tetras. They need an established tank, and should be added last, but they are great schoolers! Check out some videos of them on youtube.

I forgot I also would like some type of pleco I always thought they were neat looking fish. I ordered some maylasian drift wood the other day and after it gets here and i can get it soaked and into my tank I am going to go ahead and purchase my cory's.

My drift wood should be in today so I hope to have that in the tank tomorrow or the next day depending on how well it was soaked before I bought it. Once it goes in I am going to purchase my cory cats.

Back
Top Bottom