Stocking and Decor Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kylie Marie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello there! I have been looking to getting into freshwater aquariums again. I had multiple when I was younger and I always really enjoyed them. I have been doing research for a long while so I understand about cycling, water tests, and the importance of quarantine. So myself being a research junkie is having trouble with the fun part of getting an aquarium, how I would like it decorated, and what type of fish to put in it! My tank is a rectangular tank, with the dimensions being 20hx19Lx10w, and is 16.5 Gallons. I would like a natural looking tank, possibly with live plants. Now for the stocking I'm open to most ideas but would like colorful looking fish, and have fish at each level of my tank. So thanks for all of the help!

I don't really do planted tanks (would love to, but the cichlids just destroy live plants), but I believe Corydoras (bottom), Neon tetras, cardinal tetras, etc (middle), and Killifish or flag fish (top) all do well in planted tanks, and will add color and movement.

Cory catfish and tetras all prefer to be in groups. Killifish will be content if they're the only fish, or one of several. Given your tank size, I would suggest 5 cories, and a small school of 8-12 tetras, depending on the size of the species. Rasboras would also do well, in slightly smaller groups. Or, check out the Celestial Pearl Danio; a diminutive fish, under an inch long matured, but full of color. You could do a slightly larger group of them. Probably a single killi, or possibly a betta as long as your other fish aren't fin nippers.

16.5 Gallons
Corys are really good bottom dwellers. they need a soft substrate like sand though (many bottom dwellers and soft bodied fish require them). It is suggested that you keep them in a least a group of 5-6. you might want to try some smaller varieties so it doesn't look like they are dominating your tank.

So as to not overstock your tank i would suggest along with the 5-6 cories one type of a good number of schooling fish.
many tetras prefer to be in groups. much like cories. I think neon tetras are the bomb. and many people say to get at least 8-10
harlequin Rasboras are getting pretty popular. they are a schooling fish that stays pretty small.
Guppies are a good choice. if you do males make sure you get at least 5 (for their aggression) and keep them in odd numbers. i wouldn't suggest mixing genders or else you might deal with a population explosion and you have to get at least two females for every one male
the whole different level of swimmers i don't think you are going to see a real difference for your size tank.

as long as your fish aren't fin nippers you could always try a betta. make sure he is the last one in your tank and that you have a backup plan. you will want your tank to be pretty well planted as to break up line of sight.

plants: anubias, java fern, java moss, bacopa, anarchis, moss balls, crypts, and water wisteria are all pretty good beginner plants. I've successfully kept them with the stock lighting provided with my fifty five gallon. i do add api leaf zone every water change so I'm sure that helps.

Good luck!

If you are new to plants some great ones to start out with are anubias, java fern, wisteria, java moss, and crypt wendtii

Back
Top Bottom