Stocking First Aquarium-20 long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pickles12807

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought and set up my first aquarium today, a 20 gallon long with a Fluval Aquaclear 30. In the past I've only had betta tanks, currently a 5.5g, so I don't have any hands on experience with full size tanks. I've been doing some research on what I'd like to get once the tank is cycled. The only live plants I plan on having are a small anubias and a marimo moss ball. My current list is:

1 dwarf gourami
8 neon tetras
6 harlequin rasboras
6 ghost shrimp
2 mystery snails

I've been on aqadvisor and it says that this setup should work in my tank, but wanted to get more opinions from experienced owners. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Aqadvisor has never failed me, plus I had a similar setup a while ago, in which I had a gourami couple, 8 cardinals and 6 pseudomugils furcata.

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Oooh, and I wouldn't add shrimp in with gourami. They can become an expensive snack! It's a gamble really.

Sent per three-eyed raven..

I've been looking around some more, and think that a school of glowlight tetras may be better than neons. Thoughts?

I've been looking around some more, and think that a school of glowlight tetras may be better than neons. Thoughts?

it all depends on personal preference. I have some glow lights and their coloration is pretty cool. I personally would prefer neons/cardinals though.

Glowlights are healthier in my area.

Consider a Honey Gourami instead of a DG. Our DGs were coming in diseased. Honeys are very gentle also.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As Coursair said HG's are gentle. I own a male and female they have been together since they were approximately an inch long. They get along well even with my big Keyhole Cichlid. They would also be just the perfect size for your tank. Sorry pic is blurry but it'll give you an idea.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1420732613889.jpg
    1420732613889.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 47
You could easily bump up numbers of neons and harlequins to 10 each provided you stock slowly and have some live plants and of course do weekly water changes. These fish like to be in big schools. I have a pearl gourami he is active but very gentle never even looks at my shrimp. I've had several honey gouramis die of ill health in the past. So it just depends.

Thanks. I'll definitely try to find a honey, they're really beautiful. I've been trying to find a good LFS while my tank cycles, but so far the ones I've went to mainly focus on saltwater.

I know I should only add a few fish a week once my tank is cycled so I don't overload the biofilter, but is there any certain order recommended to add the fish? I didn't know if it'd be best to add the schooling fish first with the gourami last, or if it really makes a difference?

Back
Top Bottom