Stocking Help??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtneyfitz.xx

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I know... another stocking question!! I have a 55 gal with a fluvial 304 and an aquatech 30-60. It has been cycled for about 6 weeks and so far I have:

14 silver tip tetras
14 red eye tetras
4 peppered corries
4 bronze corries

Everyone is super happy, swimming about- no nipping or quarrels:) I think the corries are actually trying to breed! Which would be great(y)

Anyway... my question is related to finishing stocking. According to AqAdvisor I'm at 97% stocking level, but my filter capacity is 165%. When I add 3 threespot gouramis to the mix, it says I'm at 119% stocking and 126% filter capacity. I'd love to have the gouramis, but not if it endangers the happiness of my other fish! So... do I go by stocking level, or filter capacity?

Also, if anyone has any experience with gouramis with these tetras (or similar mannered ones) please do share!! :) Thanks for the help!!

Welcome to AA and congrats on your cycled tank, I bet your fish are happy!

I have zero talent or experience for stocking suggestions so I'll let someone else with more experience chime in. :) Just wanted to say hi and welcome!

Thanks LibraryGirl!

So, why only one? Is it becuase of their temperment (I was planning to get all females), or because of overstocking? If it's due to temperment.. any other suggestions as I'd love to have more than one larger fish! Thanks for the help!!:)

Thanks LibraryGirl!

So, why only one? Is it becuase of their temperment (I was planning to get all females), or because of overstocking? If it's due to temperment.. any other suggestions as I'd love to have more than one larger fish! Thanks for the help!!:)
its because of size,they get 6 inches and are aggressive

Here is my 55g stock... Is it overstocked???

1 Ranibow shark
1 angelfish
1 german blue ram
8 neon tetras
6 black neon tetras
1 glowlight tetra
1 three spot or blue gourami
1 common pleco
1 clown loach
1 kuhli loach

I know... another stocking question!! I have a 55 gal with a fluvial 304 and an aquatech 30-60. It has been cycled for about 6 weeks and so far I have:

14 silver tip tetras
14 red eye tetras
4 peppered corries
4 bronze corries

Everyone is super happy, swimming about- no nipping or quarrels:) I think the corries are actually trying to breed! Which would be great(y)

Anyway... my question is related to finishing stocking. According to AqAdvisor I'm at 97% stocking level, but my filter capacity is 165%. When I add 3 threespot gouramis to the mix, it says I'm at 119% stocking and 126% filter capacity. I'd love to have the gouramis, but not if it endangers the happiness of my other fish! So... do I go by stocking level, or filter capacity?

Also, if anyone has any experience with gouramis with these tetras (or similar mannered ones) please do share!! :) Thanks for the help!!

I highly reccomend using AqAdvisor for a rough estimate. It's not the most accurate stocking list estimate and should only be used as a ballpark guess. The three-spot gouramis...I'd return them and settle for something that looks like them (sort of) but is much more docile, like pearl or moonlight gouramis, they're very nice.

Here is my 55g stock... Is it overstocked???

1 Ranibow shark
1 angelfish
1 german blue ram
8 neon tetras
6 black neon tetras
1 glowlight tetra
1 three spot or blue gourami
1 common pleco
1 clown loach
1 kuhli loach

The common is going to produce a big bioload, and the glowlight and khuli need a proper school. What is your filtration???

Maybe giant danios

That can work too.

Aw that sucks :( But I think jetajockey has some for sale :)

There are some really good places you can look for. Craigslist, Liveaquaria, and aquabid are all good places to start. Just make sure to check out what previous buyers have said about the seller before you buy.

That's too bad you don't ship to Canada... it seems to be the general consensus! The only pet store here is Pet's Unlimited (chain...), but I'm soon going to check out a newly discovered locally owned fish store about 2 hours away. We'll see what they have:)

Back
Top Bottom