Stocking help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uncgirl1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey ya'll! I have a 36 gallon bowfront. It has 2 filters, AquaClear 50 and 70, Current USA Satellite LED light, substrate is Flourite black with a layer of black sand over it. There is some driftwood, cave rocks, and planted with 4 large amazon swords, 3 medium amazon swords, 4 melon swords, and 3 ozelot swords. There are currently no fish in the aquarium as I am doing a fishless cycle with ammonia, media from a trusted established tank, and TSS.

I have one GBR in a 10 gallon QT tank. Back in December I ordered 3 cory catfish from an online store. Stupid me didn't quarantine and my entire tank ended up getting wiped out over the course of 3-4 weeks with the exception of the lone remaining GBR. I have treated the GBR for pretty much everything in the 10 gallon qt tank. (or as I like to call it the I learned my lesson tank) I've also been feeding him medicated food (metro) and he seems to be doing ok. Granted, he's lost a lot of color but swims around and eats like a pig.

Anyway, I'm starting over and would love your ideas for stocking the 36 gallon when it's time. Any ideas must include rams and cory cats. Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing your ideas!

Not tryna burst your bubble here but I heard GBRs like established tanks but aside from that, maybe you should tell us of the type of fish you're interested in? Schooling fish? Territorial fish? Aggressive? Or just beautiful fish with powerful personalities? For the cories, I would personally prefer some albino cories maybe 5-6. They'd look good on that dark substrate and sand.

Yes, I know they like established tanks. However, I already have one that I have to deal with so there's that. I can't leave him in the qt tank forever as it's not exactly on it's best behavior due to the meds I used.

I really like rams because of size, coloration, personality. I don't really enjoy small fish (like neons for example). I would love a chichlid tank but that's not an option due to the size of my tank. Cory cats are just neat little fish. I personally don't like anything albino but agree they would look cool on black. :) So to answer, I want larger fish with a lot of color and personality. Before this unfortunate Armageddon on my tank, I had it set up for over a year with perfect water quality. I was a chemistry major so I may be a bit OCD about it. lol

Yes, I know they like established tanks. However, I already have one that I have to deal with so there's that. I can't leave him in the qt tank forever as it's not exactly on it's best behavior due to the meds I used.

I really like rams because of size, coloration, personality. I don't really enjoy small fish (like neons for example). I would love a chichlid tank but that's not an option due to the size of my tank. Cory cats are just neat little fish. I personally don't like anything albino but agree they would look cool on black. :) So to answer, I want larger fish with a lot of color and personality. Before this unfortunate Armageddon on my tank, I had it set up for over a year with perfect water quality. I was a chemistry major so I may be a bit OCD about it. lol

Lol forgive me. Maybe for the cories you can get some peppered? They'll blend in nicely and look real nice. And possible go and take a chance with an angel or two? One more GBR.

Sterbai Cory 6 or more. http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=316
They will tolerate the higher heat that Rams prefer. You need to take that into account when stocking a Ram tank. 80-82f are usual temps I think ?
Plus Rams prefer softer/acidic water.
Tank bred Rams are more tolerant.

Cardinal tetras are a usual option.

Maybe a Pearl Gourami ? http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+882+966&pcatid=966
Or a Single Angelfish. But probably not both.

A group of Hexagon or Cherry Barbs might work. Both are peaceful. I've kept Cherry Barbs and they've been very hardy. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+880+1108&pcatid=1108

A trio or 1.3 Swordtails might be an option? The fry could be extra food for the Rams. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+1102+3171&pcatid=3171. I've had Swords in a variety of conditions.

So these are possibilities. Not saying to add all of these.

One group in the middle and maybe a Pearl Gourami OR an Angel.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Sterbai Cory 6 or more. PlanetCatfish.com -Corydoras sterbai • Callichthyidae • Cat-eLog
They will tolerate the higher heat that Rams prefer. You need to take that into account when stocking a Ram tank. 80-82f are usual temps I think ?
Plus Rams prefer softer/acidic water.
Tank bred Rams are more tolerant.

Cardinal tetras are a usual option.

Maybe a Pearl Gourami ? Pearl Gourami
Or a Single Angelfish. But probably not both.

A group of Hexagon or Cherry Barbs might work. Both are peaceful. I've kept Cherry Barbs and they've been very hardy. Hexazon Barb

A trio or 1.3 Swordtails might be an option? The fry could be extra food for the Rams. Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Blood Red Eye Swordtail, Xiphophorus helleri livebearer. I've had Swords in a variety of conditions.

So these are possibilities. Not saying to add all of these.

One group in the middle and maybe a Pearl Gourami OR an Angel.

You read my mind! I would second all of these except Angels, I am not a fan, but its not my tank so it doesn't matter :D

I agree with the sterbai corys.. They will look great on black sand. I would get another GBR to make a pair. Maybe a school of 6 cardinals too.

She doesn't like the tetras really, maybe another GBR, the sterbai cories, and to top it all off a pearl gourami. That'll look so amazing and the fish are real compatible IMO.

+1 on the cherry barbs! Would add a nice contrasting color to the GBR.

If you do agree with the cherry barbs, then it's a no from me on the gourami. They'll nip at them and the gourami is territorial, you have problems.

Yep, I read the part about not liking small fish. BUT, a nice group of Cardinals or Rummynose in a planted tank, can often melt a heart ?

I agree man, I have some cardinals of my own.

If you do agree with the cherry barbs, then it's a no from me on the gourami. They'll nip at them and the gourami is territorial, you have problems.

Um no, Cherry Barbs are super peaceful. I've kept them with Guppies. They are the most peaceful of the Barbs that I know of, that is why I suggested them. The other Barbs that I suggested are larger, but I'm told by other fish keepers that they are also peaceful.

And Pearl Gouramis are the most peaceful of the large Gouramis. It is very rare to hear of one being mean except to other Gouramis.

Do you think the size of the gourami makes a difference? I have a trio of cherries with 2 sparkling gouramis and have had no issues between any of them.

Um no, Cherry Barbs are super peaceful. I've kept them with Guppies. They are the most peaceful of the Barbs that I know of, that is why I suggested them. The other Barbs that I suggested are larger, but I'm told by other fish keepers that they are also peaceful.

And Pearl Gouramis are the most peaceful of the large Gouramis. It is very rare to hear of one being mean except to other Gouramis.

Oh sorry, I was thinking of tiger barbs. My apologies.

Wow! Thanks everybody for all the suggestions. It's given me a lot to think about and fish that I hadn't considered. :) Keep them coming! I have to do something to occupy my time while waiting for this tank to cycle!

One question for ya'll. Cardinals are very pretty, especially in large groups. My husband and I have seen them in the lfs. Does anyone know if they are prone to same health problems that neon's have? Like neon tetra disease or you know, just dropping dead for no apparent reason? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom