Stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaraB

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been doing research and thought it just might be a good idea if I asked people with experience as well.
I have a 20 gallon high freshwater tank. It's actually the one in my avatar but i'll upload a file as well. It's designed as a half open swimming area and half planted hiding places. All the plants are real (except a purple one in the front).
I was looking at rummy nose tetras or harlequin rasboras and maybe a honey gourami or other centerpiece fish.
I was wondering how big a school can put in there and what centerpiece fish (if any) would be good for that size tank?
it will be finished cycling soon, I just have to get the ammonia down a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_5773.jpg
    IMG_5773.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 69
I like all tetras and rasboras, esp. harlequins. I am not fond of the idea of a "centerpiece fish." Most all fish are happier in groups and I think isolating one as a single individual of one species is not good for the fish. Besides, almost all fish look better in groups. Get two schools instead of a centerpiece, I think.

I agree with the last post. Cichlids and gourami are at their best when they are happy, when they are happy they are spawning

If those two species are all you are doing then I would do ten each

I did the two schools thing in a 20 long for a while with Colombian and glowlight tetras, and I honestly hated it. I love active, colorful fish but it's just WAY too hectic for my tastes, not relaxing to watch at all. I'd go with one bigger school (the fish will like it more anyway) and like, a pair of dwarf cichlids or a small group of honey gouramis.

The only other school I would want would be corydoras but I already have baby mystery snails i'm planning on keeping so just one school would be fine.
My question is (and has been) how many fish in a school can i keep without being overstocked.

I don't know if I would put Rummies in a 20-high. They're active swimmers who (at least in my experience) are happier in a long-style tank. That said, harlequins are a great choice, with maybe a school of neons for contrast.

Thanks. I've heard bad things about neons being so inbred that they are unhealthy to begin with. Any other fish you recommend?

Thanks. I've heard bad things about neons being so inbred that they are unhealthy to begin with. Any other fish you recommend?

I've not heard anything about inbreeding. In my experience, if you get them past the first two weeks, they're quite hardy.

Black or green neons would also make good tankmates.

Back
Top Bottom