Stocking help again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boomer2244

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just got my hands on a 33g long(48x12x12)
And I want to do a small community with a marineland penguin 400 filter

Current stocking idea

3-ADF(adult dwarf frog)
6-bloodfin tetras
6- harlequin rasboras
6- 24k white cloud minnows
Either 4- bamboo shrimp or 12 bee shrimp

According to AQadvisor this would give me a 52% stocking an I and trying to figure out a centerpiece fish( im trying to stay away from groumis and rams) and if I should add a bottom feeder other than the ADFs and the shrimp any help would be appreciated

Stock list looks fine, except the ADFs may go without food, or may be picked on. The do best in species tanks. Feeding them can be tricky. If I were you, I would take off the ADFs and add some cories or something.

You could always make the shoal sizes bigger :)

I just wanna do something other than cories since I've had them in every tank I did except 3 and I am using bigger catfish for those.
And I've had ADFs before and had alot of success in feeding them and if it looked like they weren't eating I'll use a syringe to get the food other then the pellets down to them.

If I can't find anything else can I put 2 rams and some kuhlii loachs in with my stocking?

Boomer2244 said:
If I can't find anything else can I put 2 rams and some kuhlii loachs in with my stocking?

If you are looking for a pretty centerpiece fish. Look no further than the various apisto cichlids. Beautiful, community tank approved, and interesting behavior to boot. Also. I would advise against the bee shrimp. Bees have very specific water requirements. They are super cool but require a lot, and I mean A LOT more work than people think they do. They're definitely not suited for a community tank like yours. Kuhli loaches are always an awesome addition and I find a school of Pygmy corys to be a great addition also.

Sorry for the typo I did mean african dwarf frogs bot adult that not gonna be too crowded at the bottom with the ADFs, kuhliis and corys? and I've been looking at the apistos and they seem pretty cool but I don't know of any lfs around me that carries males although I did find 1 I liked online but they are out of stock(apistogramma hongsloi) but there's nothing about keeping them with ADFs are they ok to keep with them?

Boomer2244 said:
Sorry for the typo I did mean african dwarf frogs bot adult that not gonna be too crowded at the bottom with the ADFs, kuhliis and corys? and I've been looking at the apistos and they seem pretty cool but I don't know of any lfs around me that carries males although I did find 1 I liked online but they are out of stock(apistogramma hongsloi) but there's nothing about keeping them with ADFs are they ok to keep with them?

The apistos themselves aren't going to hurt your frogs directly. But like cherrybarb up there said, the frogs dont really compete for food well. They may need a different home than a community.

Also, the bamboo shrimp won't really be a bottom feeder. They are what you call a filter feeder. You can tell by their fanned appendages. They seek a current and allow the water to pass through their fans, collecting food when it floats by. Loaches are always nice to keep if you want a bottom feeder. Kuhli loaches are probably the best fit for you.

I do know how hard it may be to feed the ADFs since I have 3 already in my 75g and I wanna regime them into this tank(maybe I should've said this before) but I'm have good success with the ones I have and they even eat the pellets. Are the kuhlis going to be enough as far as bottom feeders go or should I get something else?

Boomer2244 said:
I do know how hard it may be to feed the ADFs since I have 3 already in my 75g and I wanna regime them into this tank(maybe I should've said this before) but I'm have good success with the ones I have and they even eat the pellets. Are the kuhlis going to be enough as far as bottom feeders go or should I get something else?

Oh kuhlis can become little piggies at the bottom! My friend's loaches are really pudgy because they clean up. Although he does specifically give spirulina tablets just for them.

Ok so then if I do the ADFs and the kuhlis rhat should be fine for the bottom? And if I can't find an apistogramma that "catches my eye" other than a ram or a groumi what else could I use as ancenterpiece?

I honestly wouldn't do ADFs with loaches of any kind, your frogs won't stand a chance at all of getting food unless you plan on taking them out to feed them. Kuhlis aren't aggressive by any means but will definitely push your frogs out of the way to get to food. I would listen to everyone here and not do the frogs, there are plenty of other really awesome bottom dwellers you could do instead.

Ok I understand but now I'm still lost as far as a centerpiece goes

I personally wouldn't do it with the height of the tank being so short, I've seen angels make normal 36 gallon tanks look small and they're much taller.

Back
Top Bottom