Stocking help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maestromad

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm back again!! Lol
I am going to set up a 88 litre tank (don't know the gals sorry). It's dimensions are 30 x 12 x 15 inches (length, width, height), I already have 2 corys, and 4 juv guppies and 2 adults. I am definitely going to get some more corys for company as I've read they shouldn't be kept in pairs.
Any advice would be gratefully accepted, thanks :-D

6 cory's is a good number of them.

The rest is up to you, but posting your filter can help determine how heavily you can stock the tank.

Ok thanks I have a fluval U2 filter which is suitable for up to 100 litre tanks. I have peppered corys at the mo and am looking to introduce pairs of two other types im liking the look of the panda ones.

Just bumping to see if there is anyone who can offer advice, I really want a nice tank with some live plants but have no clue on that front and am wary of asking in the LFS after reading on here lol!!
Well it's midnight here so fingers crossed I'll have some replys when I wake up.
Thanks in advance :-D x

I have peppered corys at the mo and am looking to introduce pairs of two other types im liking the look of the panda ones.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much - I don't even have an active tank right now - but I've heard that corys are happiest with several others of their own species. Will different species school together? From what I've heard, yes, but not as well as they would with those of their own species.

Hope you get more answers from more experienced people! :)

Yes I have heard that too, but I've also heard lots that you can intermix the species and they'll be fine, ill try two more first and if they are not playing happy families then I'll just get another open or two of each ad have two packs lol

Ok after much thought I'm going to add 4 more corys to my tank, I also would like some red cherry shrimp if I can get them by me! also maybe an otto to help get rid of my alge!
Any input on numbers would be gladly accepted and would anyone add any more guppies to the mix? I fancy having some of the prettier ones as my babies are mostly growing into orange ones!' ive on here about centrepiece fish? Any recommendations?
I want some live plants but have no clue where to start - any help :)
Oooh finally can you mix gravel and sand? And with sand how do you clean it as I would l think the gravel cleaner would just suck it up?
Thanks everyone Sian

4 more cories is a good idea. I'd wait on oto cats until the tank has been established for about 6 months, and then add a group of 3. The oto's sold in shops are almost always wild caught and can be difficult to supplement so they are prone to starvation in new aquariums.

One popular choice for a CP fish is a dwarf gourami. There are lots of options of fish you could add. You could definitely do a few more guppies if you want. I always keep a group of fancy male guppies..one of my favorite fish of all time. Neon, glowlight, or rummynose tetras would be nice, you could do a school of 6 of those. Something like that that schools mid-bottom would be nice to fill the tank out.

If you have low lighting I recommend starting with plants like java fern, java moss, anubias, and pennywort. A great site to research more on plants is plantgeek.net.

You can mix gravel and sand. When using the vac on sand I just swoosh it around right above the sand and it sucks up whatever without taking out more than a bit of sand.

Thank you for that I shall def go with some more guppies just want to make sure I get the nicest looking ones lol!! My current tank is ful of alge so will see if the new one goes the same way but will hold off on te ottos for now then. Can't wait to get it up and running now!!! :-D

Yes I have heard that too, but I've also heard lots that you can intermix the species and they'll be fine, ill try two more first and if they are not playing happy families then I'll just get another open or two of each ad have two packs lol

I used to have 2 Peppered cories and 1 Albino (I still have the two peppered (this was after my other 2 albinos and my other peppered died) and they were happy as can be... in fact... During the power outage, we had to move all of them, and the stress was to much on the albino, it was sick for many days, and on the last day of its life, the 2 peppered hovered over it on either side, as though they were morning.... It was sweet, yet sad at the same time...

But away from the sad story... In my experience (which is VERY limited as I've only had 6 cories in... 2 months of fishing experience.) they do find inter-species, at least the Peppered and albinos did.

A trick about Albinos, they're a more tricky breed to keep (I learned this AFTER I bought them :p) and they can die more easily on you.

Aww sorry to hear bout the losses I've lost 10 guppies so far :( but thank you for confirming that they are happy together. I'm fancying some pandas and emerald greens if I can find them round by me! I love the way my two swim round together eating!!

Yup! Same here, my little guys (girl and guy? I don't know the genders... *sigh*) love to stick with each other. I hardly ever see one without the other. :)

IME pandas don't shoal with other species of cories much. If you want them to shoal together, you'd probably have better luck with something closer to them in size, like the julii, because emeralds get to be way bigger than pandas. More than twice their size.

Ooh I didnt know that! Are pandas and peppered the same size then? Wouldn't want to upset my peppered as they are do sweet!!

The peppered will also get quite a bit larger than the pandas. Atleast an inch longer with a thicker body.

I have a pair of peppered now so what would you recommend for them?? I want different ones rather than a shoal f the same

I think the best bet for another species they might shoal with would be julii, emerald, or albino. There are others too, but those are the ones most commonly for sale at the lfs. They might shoal with pandas, I can't say for sure. If you do go with pandas though, I would add atleast 4 so that they have a decent sized group of their own kind since they are smaller and a bit more timid.

From my experience, the albinos are very hard to take care of. All of mine died within a few weeks of owning them... granted, my tank was just finishing the cycle, but it was fish-ready... I've heard that in general, the albinos are more touchy than other breeds. :)

thanks I dont particularly like the look of the albino so I'l prob stay clear of them. I just want to thank everyone for their help I'm sure I will now have a happy tank once its all set up. :) :fish2:

Back
Top Bottom