Stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chelseachuy

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I just set up my 29 aqueon starter kit everything seems better quality then the top fit kit. I'm going to do it right this time and do a fishless cycle. I would really like only two Bgr In my tank but I don't know if I am ready for those ! Please leave advice!

That's fine. =] I don't see a problem with doing a pair of GBRs.

A couple of things to consider:

1) temperature. GBR's prefer higher temps, 78 or above, probably. 80 is ideal. This might not be the BEST for other fish, but most can acclimate to it.

2) hiding/breeding places. They need their own territory and can get aggressive when breeding, so make sure there's plenty of room and you're not overstocked.

3) Proper acclimation. I dont' think fish NEED a specific pH, but you need to make sure they're acclimated to yours.

4) Water parameters. If you add them right after your fishless cycle, add them alone, so that your bacterial filter has a chance to catch up before you go adding a ton more fish. =] Also it'll give them a chance to be established and comfortable before adding tank mates.

Good luck!

yes i just want them in the tank. maybe some cories but i am very excited! i also saw the ballon ram which i fell in love with but i read that they are deformity and then i read somewhere else that they are a little hardier then the regulars.

To my best knowledge, they are bred with a deformity. I would not recommend supporting such a practice.

GBR's are great, but if you want something a tad easier why not do a pair of Bolivian Rams?

i actually have one right now and he's adorable so when i get this tank up and running im going to move him to his new home and get him a friend! i just love the blue in the GBR's. i just wanted opinions on them. what are some good tankmates for the bolivian ram. my starter tank is a complete mess because when i started i really didn't know much. im grateful to have this forum with all this knowledge now!

For the bolivian ram, you can do quite a variety of peaceful tankmates that prefer warm water. The options are actually quite open. What size tank are they going to be in though?

Okay, then yeah, you have a lot of options. What kind of fishies do you like? Schoolers? Livebearers?

sorry my starter tank i was referring to my ten gallon which is so overstocked right now =/ im probably going to end up moving some of them to the bigger tank(29 gallon) and make a better home for them.

Ohhh. Wait, so the GBRs would be for your 10? I would not recommend a pair in that size tank.

Peaceful, fairly mellow tankmates are good. I would stay away from anything too zippy and hyperactive or they may stress your rams.

Ohhh, I was confused. I thought you said you already had a bolivian ram in which case I would not recommend getting GBRs as well. But you meant you had a balloon ram right?

no i ment i have a bolivian ram. i changed my mind on the GBR i don't want to risk accidentally killing such a beautiful fish! i saw the ballon ram in a petstore and thought it was adorable i wanted it but i did my research and not a smart choice! sorry for confusion!!

Ohhhh, got it. =] So now you're just planning to move the bolivian, give him a buddy, and add other fishies?

Bolivian or ballon?

edit: ok i read it again, i finally get it lol

Back
Top Bottom