Stocking Ideas 40B??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newbie810

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new to the hobby and I just set up a 40 gallon breeder that is currently cycling. I'm running an aqua clear 110 at its lower setting (160GPH) I could switch it over to 500GPH if that is a better option. I have a few plants in there right now moneywort, pennywort, java fern, anubias nana, and anubias barteri. Its half sand half gravel and I have lava rock and driftwood in there right now but not a lot. I can change the temp. easily and I was hoping for some stocking ideas, I want a peaceful tank. I really want cories and black skirt tetras but I'm not sure what else, I like danios, dwarf gouramis but other than that I'm not really sure.

Black skirt tetras are not peaceful. They harass and nip fins of other fish. In a 40b I'd do 10 corys. They are much happier in larger groups.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+ 1 on the skirts and some dwarfs...
Agree on the more cories the merrier!
How are you cycling the tank?
Welcome to AA

If it's an option, switch to the 500gph. More filtration is always better.

I recommend 5 zebra loaches or angelicus loaches! They're some of the most interesting bottom dwellers you can get for a 40 gallon.

You could do a solitary angelfish if you add it to the tank a while after everything else! That would be a nice way to fill out the middle space.

Thanks for the help guys:) I think I'll just not put black skirts in if their nippy and definitely a lot of cories:)

I have 27 cories and 3 cryptoheros cutteri in my 40b. Though I tend to overstock and do a stupid amount of water changes cause I have a bajillion bottom dwellers...You could look at doing some kind of SA/CA cichlid like rams. Tetras are good choices. My other 40 has Odessa barbs. Smaller rainbowfish, rasboras, livebearers, something like that
Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom