Stocking ideas for 20G tall?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gnhk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Tank details for your reference:
20G tall
50W juwel heater
Juwel bioflow 300l/h filter
Gravel and moderately decorated with artificials
Cycling in progress, should be ready soon
Ph 8
Our first aquarium

We would like to stock following:
1. A pair of gorgeous mid size fish (3-4in max size)
2. A school of tetras
3. Few bottom feeders

Suggestions on #1 and 3 are much appreciated. Cheers

The bottom feeders are an easy pick for me in a 20g: corys. Many different species available. Interesting little fish with lots of personality. Should be in groups of 5 or more.
As for your pair of mid-sized fish, there are many options. Angels would be my first suggestion, depending upon the type of tetras you choose. They may eat small fish like neons. If you have acidic or neutral PH water, you could try rams, or many of the Apistogramma species. Denison's barbs are one of my favorite mid water fish, but need to be in groups larger than 2, and a 20g is too small for them. You could try 2 female gouramis. Females are less aggressive than males, and gouramis come in a huge variety of colors and patterns.
Your heater may be a bit small, however. It's usually recommended to have 5 watts per gallon, but if your house it warm enough that your heater doesn't get overworked, it should be fine.
Oops; I read too quickly. Most rams and Apistogramma won't do well in base water. Sorry.

Tks but wouldnt it result in overstocking? And i read somewhere a pair of angels is not a good idea, is that true?

Some types of angels get fairly large; 6 inches or so. But, I believe there are smaller types also.
There are several species of gourami also, with the largest getting over a foot long; but these aren't common in pet stores. I believe dwarf gourami usually only get to about 3" and there are some amazing color patterns available.
IMO, a small group (5-6) of smaller corys, a small group (5-6) of tetras, and a couple gouramis or small angels won't overstock your tank as long as your filtration is sufficient and you perform regular water changes.
Someone else may have better advice to offer however.

Back
Top Bottom