Stocking ideas for 45gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Watsonja4

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I have just about finished setting up my 45gallon and since some of my equipment is still being shipped I have been looking in to fish types and compatibility. My original plan and not yet ruled out was a peaceful community with schools of tetras but recently I have been looking at a more aggressive community.
Here is what I was thinking.
7x Tiger Barbs
7x Green Tiger Barbs
2x Blue Gourami M/F pair
Or
8x Tiger Barbs
8x Green Tiger Barbs
1x Blue Gourami
Either way aq advisor shows a 95% stock with a 25% pwc.
I have researched the compatibility of Tiger Barbs and Blue Gourami and it seems to be a debated topic. If you have any ideas or opinions I would be happy to here them and if you have any ideas for a peaceful community I would also like to hear it.(y) If it helps my tank setup is non-planted, gravel substrate, Fluval 306, dual air stones, with some river rocks and a resin driftwood decoration.

Yes I am aware that they can be fin nippers but from what I have gathered from multiple sites is that the when kept in groups they will stay focused on each other and not other fish. It also seems that the larger the group the better, this explains the minimum of 14 assuming the greens will shoal with regular which Im guessing they will since they are the same species. So I'm still at a loss really on the gouramis because I know they can be quite aggressive themselves and at 6" for adults makes me think they will be fine, if I was a tiger barb I would think twice before nipping at the gourami.

Have you checked out dwarf gouramis? They're much more peaceful that their larger cousins, and come in several color varieties, some quite striking.

Yes I have looked into dwarfs but I was thinking they would be better suited for a peaceful community and the tiger barbs might cause them to much stress. Any stocking ideas for a peaceful community? I'm starting to think the semi-aggressive fish are to much of a gamble since I only have one aquarium.

I have enough stocking ideas to fill 50 aquariums, if only I could talk my wife into letting me have them. I'm sure most people in the forums do. I guess it depends on what effect you're looking for. Do you prefer an active tank, or a slower moving, more lackadaisical tank? Do you want lots of small fish, or a few larger fish? Are you looking for bright, or subdued colors? I think you're stocking plan so far is pretty good, minus the gourami. Too many long, nip-worthy fins. Dwarf gouramis are much smaller, and tend to stay near the tank bottom and near cover, so they may be safer. Or maybe not. I'm wondering how a single, larger fish like a chalseus or a leporinus would do. They both can get close to 12" and are semi-aggressive but don't have flowing fins. Probably too large for your tank though. What about a little monster like a red-tailed shark?

For a peaceful community I was thinking possibly schools of small fish. I have not done much research but my list would be something like this.
German blue ram - 2 or 3 would be great if possible.
Peppered or false Julii Cory - I think I would need 6
Some type of mid to top level schooling fish - large school maybe some type of tetra?
Some type of non schooling fish to fill tank capacity - not picky on amount here, I was thinking mollie, platy, or swordtails, I know these are livebearers so could I only put males?
I love bold colors and would prefer to stay with fish less than 4".
I love the Rams and would like them to stay on list. So what do you think?
Thanks for your input as always:thanks:

I like that stocking idea. I prefer all levels of my tank to be active. I have killifish in 2 of my tanks so there's always something at the surface. Depending on what other fish you stocked, you could probably do male and female live-bearers, as the fry will likely be eaten anyway. I've never mixed live-bearers in a community tank, but I don't see a reason not to. Maybe someone with more experience with mixed community tanks will chime in.

Ok after playing around on aqadvisor I came up with this list.
3 x German blue ram
6 x false Julii Cory
11 x Cardinal tetra
3 x swordtail

Temp range 78.8 - 80.6
Ph range 5.5 - 7.0
Hardness 5 - 12 dh
Filtration capacity 123%
Weekly water change 25%
Stock level 100%
So what do you think? All input is welcome and thanks as always.

I would go with just a male/female pair of Rams because the third fish may be harassed if a pair forms, and that could lead to the death of the third ram.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Ok so that will give me this.
2 x German blue ram
6 x false Julii Cory
11 x Cardinal tetra
3 x swordtail
I think I'm happy with list, I have not rechecked in aqadvisor but getting rid of the third ram should give me room for some type of algae eater in the future.

Ok so that will give me this.
2 x German blue ram
6 x false Julii Cory
11 x Cardinal tetra
3 x swordtail
I think I'm happy with list, I have not rechecked in aqadvisor but getting rid of the third ram should give me room for some type of algae eater in the future.

I think that's a very attractive list. The activity of the swordtails should encourage the cardinals to school more. (y)

Back
Top Bottom