Stocking Ideas for 75 Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GEOlson

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been doing a lot of reading between different sites and forums and still can't come to a conclusion on what I'd like to stock my 75 gal. tank with. I'm still a beginner with keeping fish so I know I can't get fish too advanced like African Cichlids, but I'd like something different than tetras. I was looking into SA Dwarf Cichlids and Dwarf Gouramis, but I'm having a hard time finding good information about them and the different kinds. With my current 29 gal tank my water's Ph is about 8.2, so I expect that with my 75 gal, which I don't have yet, but am in the planning stages of, will be the same. I was originally thinking about having a goldfish tank but decided I want to have more than 4 fish in it and I also found out it's not recommended to mix fancy and non fancy types. Anyway, any recommendations for a 75 gal setup for a beginner? And I was planning on having the tank planted, but probably simple plants like anacharis.

Thanks!

I would not say that Africans are an advanced fish, nor complicated to keep. IMO, they dont really require anything that other fish dont. Really, the only thing different between Africans, and say Tetras, are they you have to provide some cover (rocks) for them to hide in. They do produce a little more waste, which means that keeping up on water changes, and having a good filter are a must. I would encourage you to go with the fish you want. I get a lot of enjoyment out of my africans.

To be honest, an african tank is going to be a whole lot easier and require a whole lot less attention than a planted tank would. And the fish are just so much more fun!

BTW, Welcome to AA :)

Thank you for the welcome. I was told that African Cichlids would need more work for their water requirements in maintaining the pH and specific gravity. Is this an issue with A. Cichlids?
My goal is to become very proficient in keeping aquariums, but I don't want to start off with something too hard. Every time I go to the pet store I walk past all the fishing trying to figure out what I want to get for the 75.

I dont believe African cichlids need a specific gravity nor salt. Same goes for A. cichlids.

But The African cichlids do need higher Ph's like you said (8.2-8.4). Ive heard of people using fluorite in their African cichlid tanks to keep the Ph high.

Tyler

They dont *need* a high pH, they just naturally come from a lake that has a high pH. That being said, most tank bred fish today come from a lower pH and can adapt to just about anything you're going to see. IME, as long as you have a stable pH above 7.0, you're not going to have any issues (My african tanks have a pH of 7.8 from the tap). They also do not require salt. Some people like to add salt for some reason or another, I never have.

For the filters, I'd suggest running two AC 110's or a good canister. I would recommend that as a minimum for any stocking plan you have for this tank.

Figure out what fish you want to keep. For me, no fish even come close to africans. Mine come up and meet me at the front glass any time I come near the tank. They swim right in to my hand when I need to get them out. They jump out of the water when I feed them. They're constantly breeding, though I never take the steps necessary to keep the fry. Some people prefer goldfish, tetras, or a mixed community. It all comes down to what you prefer. Dont 'settle' for anything, do it the way you want the first time.

We'll help you get everything set up and running, you just figure out what you want to do with this tank. If you decide to go with africans, there are a bunch of us on here that can help you through it :)

I'm not bragging or anything, because my tank is far from the point to brag on it, but here are a couple pics of mine just to show you what options you have.

img_1190953_0_e753cc9a6d71377c8719248e008b6b09.jpg

img_1190953_1_ccac68c82a9656b1e0c30c293c6a6c22.jpg

img_1190953_2_15c730dbfd5a86d1fe083781d5a95e95.jpg

img_1190953_3_e5196bc573378e1bbca5580f6046f383.jpg

img_1190953_4_6da64eeac729182f86d1f80e54b60ed7.jpg

Last edited:
That's a great setup, I really like how you got the rocks stacked for them. I've already got two AC 70s, I thought that would be ample enough. Petsmart has ACs on sale right now so I took advantage of the sale, I considered the 110s but they're about $30 more each with the sale. I'm hoping I can find a sale for Aqueon heaters, I was going to get two 150 W. I have the LFS ordering me a Coralife dual 54 W T5HO lamp.

I was also considering dwarf cichlids, do they require a low pH water? I figure with fish that don't grow as large I can have a few more fish in the tank. I do like Bolivian Rams, but that's about the only kind cichlid I know of right now. I had though about silver dollars, too. Do dwarf cichlids get along with cory cats, loaches, and plecos (smaller variety like bristlenose)?

Oh, and is KH real important? I just have the basic API test kit (pH, high pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate), I've never tested KH or anything else.

Thanks for the advice!

I prefer marineland stealth pro heaters. I've heard a few bad stories on the 300w (the same on I have), but no bad stories on the smaller ones.

Personally, I think you're wasting your money on that light unless you plan on having a planted tank. If so, great, if not, dont get it.

I cant really help you with the other fish. I can tell you that silver dollars get huge, and are probably not a good idea for a smallish tank like a 75g. I just dont have any experience with sa/ca cichlids.

I wouldn't worry about testing gh/kh. That really only comes in to play if you're having pH problems or running a high tech planted tank. The API master kit will let you test anything you really need to.

I'm hoping I can find a sale for Aqueon heaters, I was going to get two 150 W. I have the LFS ordering me a Coralife dual 54 W T5HO lamp.
I would recommend Jebo or Marineland Pro Stealth heaters. I have never had a issue with either one. Unless you want to go with a in-line heater,those are 2 of the best you can get.

Are you planting this tank? If not,that is way to much light for a non-planted tank. And if you do plant it with that fixture, you will probably want to inject CO2.
I was also considering dwarf cichlids, do they require a low pH water? I figure with fish that don't grow as large I can have a few more fish in the tank. I do like Bolivian Rams, but that's about the only kind cichlid I know of right now. I had though about silver dollars, too. Do dwarf cichlids get along with cory cats, loaches, and plecos (smaller variety like bristlenose)?
Unless you are getting wild caught fish,(F0), you do not need to worry about the PH. Like all cichlids they can get aggressive when they breed. In a 75, I would go with 2 different species of Apistos. You could have 1 male with 3 females. I personally like Apistogramma cacatuoides,and Apistogramma borellii.
Check out this site for info on dwarfs,
Apistogramma and Dwarf Cichlids in Aquarium

Make sure you decorate it with some driftwood and caves,to break the lines of sight,and so they can have enough room to establish territories.

Regular silver dollars,Metynnis hypsauchen, would be fine in a 75. They max out around 8". You can find them everywhere. They are the ones that Petsmart always have. I would get a school of 6.

Cory cats, loaches, and plecos would be fine with dwarfs.
Oh, and is KH real important? I just have the basic API test kit (pH, high pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate), I've never tested KH or anything else.
KH is not important enough to worry about unless you are getting into plants and CO2.

For lighting I used this table, not really sure who created it, but it was accurate for my 29 gal.
img_1191173_0_d9c37c3e41e03373308bd498b73b89a0.jpg

I estimate the lighting would be in the high range, possibly medium/high range because the fixtures stands above the canopy. Would normal output be better do you think? I don't know if the LFS ordered it or not yet, but I would feel bad if they had and I ended up not getting it. Although it is more important that I have the correct amount of lighting, and not too much.

Back
Top Bottom