Stocking ideas please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PleccyBetty

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone!

I am setting up my first ever tank (Eee!). Hoping to do speedy fishless cycle with bottled bacteria, although I'm aware this rarely works so we shall see :/

Anyway, once that's done I was looking for some recommendations for a first fish. My parameters are:

54L tank
Ph 6.9
hardness 8dH

I'd eventually like to have a school of cardinal tetra and a clown pleco in the tank, so am looking for one other fish, ideally around 6cm. I love the look of male Bettas but I'm pretty sure that's not a good idea as they'll attack the tetras (?), so is there another longish finned and colourful fish that would work?

Obviously I'm a complete beginner so they need to be hardy as hell to account for my incompetance haha

Betta likely would pick on the other fish. 2 dwarf gourami are an option. The females are about 6 cm and the males around 8. With a clown pleco, 6 tetra and 2 dwarf gourami, you'd be around 90% stocked.

Betta likely would pick on the other fish. 2 dwarf gourami are an option. The females are about 6 cm and the males around 8. With a clown pleco, 6 tetra and 2 dwarf gourami, you'd be around 90% stocked.
Ah thank you. Do Gouramis need to be in pairs, or could I have one and stock more tetras?

You can do a single Gourami. I'd go with a Honey Gourami over a dwarf. Dwarfs have disease issues.

Ah cool thank you! Would a full size one be ok for the size of the tank though (54L, eventually with clown plec and tetras)?

Honeys are the last gouramis who should be alone. They are social and playful and get lonely.

A good source to check on your stocking ideas is AqAdvisor

I wouldn't put a pair or multiple Honey's in a 14 gallon tank. You will more than likely have aggression. Even if you paired a male and female together you could get the male harassing the female non stop in a tank that size. Honey's are not a schooling or shoaling fish. They are a territorial fish. Keeping one by itself with plants/decor for hiding places will make him feel secure. IMO, 14 gallons is sufficient for one Honey. On the other hand, Sparkling Gourami's are on the smaller side and should be kept in groups of at least 4 as that's their habit.

Honey gouramis are not aggressive or territorial in the slightest... Very shy, social little dudes. They appreciate friends. Pair at least, gender doesn't matter to them. I kept a pair of males together. I'd say a minimum of a 20 long (30 in. in length) for a pair.

Back
Top Bottom