Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question stocking my 30 gallon fish tank? whats your opinion?

hi, i am getting a 30 gallon(well its really 29.9 gallons, but whats the difference really), anyway i was thinking about how to stock it, i was thinking:
5 bleeding heart tetras,
5 serpea tetras,
5 hatchet fish,
4 bronze corydoras,
3 platys and 1 dwarf gourami.

i came up with this stocking plan at www.aqadvisor.com , please go to the link and type in the species i mentioned above to see the results it gave me your self. when you get to the page where it says dimensions just enter 30 gallons, and where it says filter it is the aqueon qiuteflow 55. thanks for the help!

Old 04-19-2011, 11:10 PM   #2

Stocking comes down to water changes. If you do enough water changes to keep the nitrate concentration under 20ppm then you are not overstocked. Obviously there is a limit based on physical requirements and not chemical, but this is the best guide IME. With that stocking without enough water changes you are overstocked, with a different water change schedule you have room for more.

I prefer larger schools of fish, they tend to look and act better.

Bronze cories get big (3" or more), I would stick with one of the smaller species (almost anything else).

Old 04-20-2011, 02:02 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Other than the concern about the bronze cories (and there are many beautiful species out there), I think that list looks great.

Tags
30 gallon, stocking, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com