Stocking My 80 Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

240sx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Since my Convict & Texas cichlid have had babies, I had to move my fish into a bigger tank so I bought an 80 gal :D

In my 80 there is a Green Severum, Parrot, Red Jewel, and an Electric Yellow Lab and I just added a Salvini cichlid as well.

The largest of the fish is the Parrot that I brought home from work. He was in a over stocked 25 gal that had no heater and he was only fed fish flakes. Poor guy!

I was thinking of adding an Oscar and a Jack Dempsey because the LFS has some that are the same size as my current fish. (except the parrot who is the largest)

5Parrot.JPG

This pic is when I first moved him into my tank before the fry came along. Now he is in the 80 and he is a very very vivid orange.

get some pics of the fry too.....i wouldnt add the oscar because they are so freaken messy...the jack dempsey seems pretty good....whats your filtration?

Parrot = 8"
Severum = 8"
Salvini = 6"
Red jewel = 5"
Electric yellow lab = 6"

I think you should bring back the electric yellow lab because it's an african cichlid and requires different water condition than the other fish. To me it seems like your stocked good right now, but if you return the yellow lab you could add maybe a firemouth and/or a convict (or another red jewel). All of the fish in the 80 are messy eaters and I definately would not add an Oscar (way too messy especially with the fish you have now) or Jack Dempsey (very aggressive and big JMO).

I have two questions though:
What percentage PWC do you do every week?
Whats your filtration?

Do you have any aggression problems in your tank? Does each cichlid have their own territory? You could probably put one Jack Dempsey in their, but to me an 80 gallon doesn't seem very big for the cichlids you have.

I'm not 100% sure on this so I'll let some one more experienced with this chime in.

Next to no fighting, the Salvini is the newest, added him on the 1st.

The 4 fish (parrot, severum, jewel & yellow)were originally in a 25 gal when they were small and they all moved to the 80 together, and seem to almost "school" together. They all do have their own resting spot, when I come home at night I see them all in their own caves. I have plenty of rocks and hiding spots, as well as open sapce for swimming. Since I have moved them into the 80 they all look so much happier now, colours have increased (and they were very sharp to begin with) and they eat so much more now.

When it's feeding time they all come to the top front of the tank and swim around together, when some of the food as fallen to the bottom they all eat off the ground and never fight each other.

Back
Top Bottom