Stocking my first 10g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kjwcpm

Aquarium Advice Regular
So here's the basics. I am dealing with my first tank. It's a 10g kit from that large box store no one wants to mention. Currently it has the tank itself, a full hood, a Top Fin heater and the included HOB filter.

Inside is standard aquarium gravel (red and black mixed), a lava style rock with two smaller stones, a small camping tent decoration, 2 wisteria plants and one java moss plant.

The tank has been fishless cycled and currently has readings of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 0-5ppm nitrate. Ph runs about 7.4 from my tap. Using Seachem Prime as my conditioner.

After some initial fish disasters, I'm left with two zebra danios and 11 ghost shrimp. Although I understand the suggestion someone made to me to return the two danios, I'm not inclined to do so knowing I'll give them the best care I can for the moment. Tough decision but it's the one I'm sticking with now.

So now the question is what will join the stock I already have in there? I'm looking for some color splash if possible. I would prefer more of a smaller fish than just one or two larger ones. I don't want to overstock but I also need a little variety in there.

My preference is for a peaceful community tank in general.

Ideas on what to include? I know a 10g is limiting, but I should have some options right? Upgrading to a 20g is not an option for at least 6 months right now - my wife already thinks I'm nuts for starting this to begin with.

I think ten gallons is not big enough for two zebra danios. IMO, they should be in a twenty gallon long so they have room to swim. If you could return the zebra danios, an alternative to them is celestial pearl danios.

Ideally I like filling all levels of my aquarium. The danios would be on top, so what about some dwarf cories on the bottom like julies or pygmies? And then you could try a centerpiece fish, like a DG or a pair of killifish or guppies. This is just all what I think would work best but it's all up to you. :)

Thanks bruinsbro. I appreciate the advice, but I'm going to try to make a good home for the danios for now. After a visit to my regular LFS, I ended up adding harlequin rasboras. They've grown on me each time I see them. I know they stay high like the danios, but they seem to like to test the middle layer too.

While the LFS didn't have pygmy corys, but they did have melini corys. I ended up going that way, and I LOVE the fish! Plenty active on the bottom and seems pretty happy overall....

Had a long convo with the LFS about it. Their experience is they don't grow to much bigger than 1.5" and don't produce a huge bioload. I'm trusting their advice so far. If it doesn't work out, it'll be time to find a different LFS!

Your cory could get up to 2 inches. They need to be kept in groups of 5 or more. Your tank is not large enough to accommodate them properly.

I agree with bruins that your danios should be returned. They can get very aggressive and nippy if not kept in larger numbers and, again, your tank is not large enough to accommodate the correct school size. I know you said you're keeping them, no matter what, however I wouldn't be doing them any favors if I did not state my opinion.

The vast majority of us have received blatantly wrong information from lfs. Most of the stores are in it to increase their profit margin, not for their love or expertise with livestock.

If you received your information from a large chain store, that opinion holds even truer.

Please reconsider your danios and corys.

Back
Top Bottom