Stocking new 15 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennyhannah2011

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi
Im currenty going though a fishless cycle on my new tropiquarium 68.

Im thinking of stocking options for when im ready.

Does this sound ok?

1 dwarf gourami
3 Mickey Mouse Platys
5-6 tetras
5-6 harliqins
some cherry shrimps

The tank is long, 26" and is planted with silk plants, plenty of hiding places and aquarium sand. i

both my local fish shops (NOT a pets at home) proper aquatics stores have said i could have 20-25 fish in there.

I want a calm nice friendly tank.

Attachments

• fish tank.jpg
    fish tank.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 93
I would get rid of the Platys as they are huge waste producers and knock it down to one school so there not running into each other

I dont its big enough for anything near 20 to 25 fish . . Way over crowded and the ammonia that will build up in a tank that size will be very high very quickly.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would get rid of the Platys as they are huge waste producers and knock it down to one school so there not running into each other

So a 72 litre tank can hold 7 fish!!

I know I' a novice but surely that cant be the case can it

I dont its big enough for anything near 20 to 25 fish . . Way over crowded and the ammonia that will build up in a tank that size will be very high very quickly.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you. Could you give me any suggestions of what goes in it? We want colourful and peaceful

So a 72 litre tank can hold 7 fish!!

I know I' a novice but surely that cant be the case can it

Yup, or at least of what you want. Some need territory like a Dwarf groumai, tetras need Swimming room so that limits an such. You could add 2-3 more tetras to a school though.

Then bioload plays a factor also

Yup, or at least of what you want. Some need territory like a Dwarf groumai, tetras need Swimming room so that limits an such. You could add 2-3 more tetras to a school though.

Then bioload plays a factor also

Ok thank your that's really helpful. Could you recommend any other combinations that might accommodate more fish? I don't really know what I want and am not set on anything.

Thanks x

Well a dwarf groumai for a center piece and if you go with a smaller tetra like neons or flames you could max a school around 9 as they are smaller.
You could bump that down to 6 and pull off a small school of Pygmy cories ,4-5

You could make a school of something distinctive your centerpiece. Or a mystery snail, they can get big enough to be a centerpiece in a few months if healthy. And snails are sometimes more fun to watch than fish.

Spoken to my lfs and aw advisor and going with:

6-8 cardinal tetras
1 honey gourami
2 platys (to help cycle)
4 pygmy cories (wanted panda but they took me over filter limit)

Hope this will be ok.

Who/ how long will it take to get them all in?

Spoken to my lfs and aw advisor and going with:

6-8 cardinal tetras

1 honey gourami

2 platys (to help cycle)

4 pygmy cories (wanted panda but they took me over filter limit)

Hope this will be ok.

Who/ how long will it take to get them all in?

Good stock. I'd prob aim for 6 pygmy cories myself, as two more wouldn't affect the bioload much but they'd be happier.

Back
Top Bottom